HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

REVISIONS: Fire Ant, Turret, and Pulse Assault Rifle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jsshinoda

PostSubject: REVISIONS: Fire Ant, Turret, and Pulse Assault Rifle   Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:33 am

Bizz, I apologize if these ideas irritate you, I am very tired and I am just slinging these ideas in hopes that this is how it'd work. I don't know how coding or creating anything works these are just ideas I am getting from a hypothesis of how it works.

Fire Ants: I always loved the ideas of fire ants, they were the one thing you can never fight with a melee weapon unless you'd want to die, just their fire was ridiculously overpowered. So what if you can change the range of the attack, or what if, and from what I'm assuming, you can use a different... 'fire'. If I am correct the fire ant uses the normal fire damage of postnuke RP, where it just lights an enemy on fire and they just take fire damage as if they were just sitting in a campfire. What if you made a copy of that fire and tweaked it, so the effect dealt less damage than the original fire, then you made it so fire ants can only give that fire effect, effectively reducing the damage.

But let's be more creative and think what can replace the flamethrower style attack instead, because knowing you Bizz, you are an exceptionally talented coder. What if fire ants instead act like regular ants, but upon a melee attack they deal the fire effect as if they were blowing fire at you. Or what if they could shoot fireballs so they can be dodgable, then again that's just going to far.

Turret: I realized how turrets will never ever target anything but HL2 style enemies, what if you used different alternatives instead. I know you would have to remake most of it, but how would you remake it. Here are some ideas (again sorry if all of them are complete crap and unusable ideas)

Motion Tracker: What if you based turrets to attack anything that moves. So if it moves, it shoots at it. Even props, entities, vehicles, and then when it comes to players maybe you can make it so it deals no damage to players until you add the turret programmer, I would say make it so it can't attack players but I think that'd be too much and a very hard task to do as you are making it so it doesn't shoot players.

Regular Revision: What if you just made the basis of a turret, where it can move and attack, but you made it so attacks any NPC it sees, basically adding the whole 'list' of all the NPCs it has to target, then you can remove players from that list so it'd basically target each and every NPC there is. I did think about the idea of targetting entities but I think that'd backfire too much too.

Physgunning (However you spell it) Turrets: This is completely irrelevant but I think it'd be easier if we could psygun the turn but be unable to freeze it, because when I use the gravity gun to move and pick my turret, it gets picked up in an awkward position upon which the turret is tilted backwards a bit so it's hard to lay it down properly. With the phsygun it'd be easier place it the way you want it to be placed and you don't have to worry about it being placed in places it shouldn't be in as it can't be freezed what so ever. I also realized that it could cause an issue if you could psygun it but the turret was being powered, so what if you make it so any prop that's psygun get's it's wire removed.

Pulse Assault Rifle: I only realized that there is an issue with the sight, maybe you can somehow get a simple program to redesign the pulse assault rifle.... and just cut a hole in the sight so you can actually LOOK through the sight and it can actually be used instead of it just being a diveted circle that you can not look through what so ever.

That's all I have for now, sorry if my ideas seemed rash or unconventional, I just gave hypothesises and opinions. I am still very tired so I am also not thinking so logically so that might be another reason why. Either way thank you for reading this. Hope they helped
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: REVISIONS: Fire Ant, Turret, and Pulse Assault Rifle   Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:52 am

First off, thank you very much for posting this on the forums. It's very upsetting how people keep throwing stuff like this at me when they see me, and I can't really keep track of it all in my head. Putting it here on the forums ensures I'll be able to glance at it so I can get a feel for what needs attention in postnuke. Anyways, as fire ants go, instead of trying to state the steps I'd take to change the fire ants, just do me a favor. Just tell me what you want the end product to be. I can change the range and damage with one keystroke, so do you think they should be lowered?

As far as the turrets go I'm probably going to just do away with them and remake them using a different system. For one, the server actually crashes when a nextbot NPC attacks those turrets, and also no matter what I do cannot make the turrets target my NPCs. I cannot edit the code of the turrets either since they are hard coded into Half Life 2 and the source engine itself, which I cannot modify without access to the source code (which only valve has). I can already make NPCs shoot bullets, if you've seen my Super Mutants you know that, so all I need to do is take some time to remake them.

For the pulse AR, I might add a sort of reticle or crosshair for aiming on certain weapons, the Pulse AR being one of them as I'm not in the mood to go editing models.
That is, unless you can find me a better view model for a pulse weapon , but if you don't know what a view model is, then either look it up or don't bother.

As far as actual damage values goes,if you want them here they are

The Fire Ants fire releases jets of flame for a varying times (1-3 seconds), but the amount of flame jets it creates is currently 10. I may change this to base off the time however.
Anyways, each jet of flame delivers 3 damage, so 10 of those would be 30 damage.
each jet of flame also ignites the player for one second, which can stack since every second on fire does around five damage. So if an ant breathes fire for 3 seconds, you'd take 30 damage from the ant itself, and around 20 from being ignited.

This totals to roughly 50 damage, but there are still variables that can change this, like certain armors.
If not 50, what do you think the damage from sitting in front of an ant be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
jsshinoda

PostSubject: Re: REVISIONS: Fire Ant, Turret, and Pulse Assault Rifle   Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Thank you for replying, if I had to give an opinion about fire ants I would say make it more noticeable that they breath fire. Most people have a hard time noticing the difference between a regular ant and a fire ant. As for the regular damage I'd say roughly 30 damage as most people don't have high health, especially those who favor scavenger classes, so it's kind of irritating when you are scavenging with full health and all you get is a burst of fire and you are dead even though you have more than half health. Not to include the factor that they might not stop chasing you and it's almost impossible to kill them with melee weapons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: REVISIONS: Fire Ant, Turret, and Pulse Assault Rifle   Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:54 am

I'll make fire ants slower too.
Also when they chase you you have to break the line of sight.
Hide behind something, but make sure it doesn't see you hide behind that object and they will lose you. People just try to often dash across the open wasteland from my NPCs, not realizing they actually have an advanced line of sight system and will lose track of you realistically.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
jsshinoda

PostSubject: Re: REVISIONS: Fire Ant, Turret, and Pulse Assault Rifle   Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:11 am

Now that is pretty awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile

REVISIONS: Fire Ant, Turret, and Pulse Assault Rifle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1