HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent

Share | 

Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rezzy

PostSubject: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:59 am

So I've been keeping a mini-dairy for my PNRP character. Nothing major or anything, it's just to help me remember events so that I may reference them at certain points or whatever. After a few months of this, I realized that the wasteland we've got has the potential for quite a bit of storytelling. I'm starting to jot down a very very rough chronicle of the server/my character's story. One thing that I've been having trouble with though is how to write in the many maps that we've explored throughout the years. I've narrowed it down to a few options, but I'm open to more:
1- The story unfolds chronologically, and the changes in scenery occur over long period of time. Say for example, things happen on Csc_desert and then there is a map change that continues the event onto, lets say, rp_pripyat. I would likely just combine the elements of the two areas into one, or just ignore the events of one map and re-write them as they would have happened on the other. Areas would likely be revisted. (In my current drafts, it flows from rp_ineu_valley/pn_wastedwaters > csc_desert/rp_mojave > miscellaneous stalker maps > rp_pripyat). I'm leaning closest to this method.
2- The story unfolds non-linearly, jumping back and forth between times and locations. This would be significantly more difficult to write and maintain a consistent tone and pace, but it would give me a bit more flexibility in terms of dealing with map changes and whatnot. I'm leaning farthest away from this one due to the difficulty of non-linear storytelling.
3- I create multiple timelines and just have the characters stay consistent but the maps and events independent from one another. It'd give me the most freedom to work with, allowing me to do things like kill off and bring back characters, or splinter events into alternate possibilities for example. I'm unsure how I feel about this, but this one would probably be fun to collaborate with others on.

I'm open to suggestions, what do you guys think?

Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:22 am

I like to think that we a group of traveling wasters, STALKERS, etc. that travel together in a large caravan to and from places with our vehicles and we find new people in those areas every time and they add to the caravan. We all move in. Our vehicles, those without carpool with those that do

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StormySunrise

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:34 pm

... > sees map rotation story like I said in TS yesterday >K

But yeah major things like wars should be in your background, for example ive been in the wasteland for so long and in so many wars that my character has half a wall of lead in him.

117'th Legion Remnant

99% Caustic Chloride Mustard Gas Toxic 24/7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedCloud

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:19 am

welp its shameless plug for my faction time:
in scenes where you arrive at pripyat, talk about a radical group called Nova Ukraina that operates from pripyat attempting to revive the glory of ukraine by shoving their foot deep into the wasteland's ass crevasses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rezzy

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:12 pm

StormySunrise wrote:
... > sees map rotation story like I said in TS yesterday >K

But yeah major things like wars should be in your background, for example ive been in the wasteland for so long and in so many wars that my character has half a wall of lead in him.

I thought about doing something like this, but there'd be a few problems like dealing with warring factions and why would we all be sticking together in the first place.

Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Because peace always manage to be brought back after some time. In terms of RP, I don't see it much as a war as much as a caravan feud.

People get mad and fight eachother constantly but make up after some time until someone goofs again.

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:32 pm

I would imagine (RP) "wars" that happen between communities are because of competition between caravans, as Jeff stated, territory, but it's not like there's any land to fight over because everything's either bombed or polluted, access to water (could be because of two separate businesses attempting to wrest water sources from each other, and therefore a caravan feud), or simply because someone stole supplies from someone else.

Maybe wars happen because just, being able to rule everyone with an iron fist, being able to tax the shit out of everyone else (not going to point fingers, but let's say there's a certain Mexican that would like to do that) or you know, maybe just more petty reasons, but I doubt that would happen in a real post apocalyptic environment.

People stick together in this because it isn't something like Rust/DayZ/Nether, you have rules prohibiting the random murder of your fellow survivors so you can actually, trust people on most occasions. I imagine the RP reason for this is because it's been quite a bit since people stuck their bodies on the surface so the bandit/whatever threat has largely been eliminated. Although access to clean food and water is still somewhat difficult, it's not as hard, seeing as how people go around selling their various merchandise, ranging from food items to hardware, from medical items to firearms.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rezzy

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:11 am

I'll see how incorporating the idea of a combined caravan works out. This is gonna get interesting.

Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 am

there is honestly no lore explanation for map changes.. you guys just like to keep bugging us for one!
If I could have it my way, there would be no map changes, instead I would have like, 27 different server's that are all linked together, each one featuring one of the map and you could travel between them at will... oh how nice that would be... how nice...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Bizzclaw wrote:
there is honestly no lore explanation for map changes.. you guys just like to keep bugging us for one!
If I could have it my way, there would be no map changes, instead I would have like, 27 different server's that are all linked together, each one featuring one of the map and you could travel between them at will... oh how nice that would be... how nice...

do we even remotely have the means?

HUEG BLAK DOODS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Validtarget
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:06 pm

I don't think having multiple servers on different maps would work out unless you had a player base of AT LEAST 100 people. Otherwise people would just farm to jesus with grubs and miners on the shittiest maps

When I see this if I try to join the server, it comes as a relief to me. Relief of not being afraid of being framed for tons of shit I didn't do. Relief for not being afraid of messing up a rule. Relief for not having to deal with the admins of Frostburnt. And relief to go to a server where my shots kill stuff, people don't hate me for no reason, and where I can do whatever I want and be treated like a normal person, not a rat held under a microscope under so much pressure to not mess up.

User has been permanatly banned from these forums for the reason "Doesn't want to be here" by Bizzclaw - Honestly I should of banned you a long time ago. And you say you're tired of being treated like "A rat under a microscope"? Sorry, but you've duped, exploited and RDM'd. What did you expect?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:33 pm

You're right. It's unfortunately pretty much impossible logistically. Maybe if Postnuke was it's own game independent from Gmod. (this will never happen though)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?   

Back to top Go down

Anybody wanna help me throw around ideas for a story?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Fallout Decay :: Fallout Decay General Discussion-
Jump to: