HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

[Suggestion] Who needs a magazine, stripper clip, or cylinder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cap-Coop

PostSubject: [Suggestion] Who needs a magazine, stripper clip, or cylinder?   Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:18 am

When you can have a muzzleloader?

I was dozing off into space late one night when I thought of this idea. Rather than the traditional modern weapons we see today that are demonstrated in PNRP I had thought about the possibility of using such "outdated" firearms within PNRP when I recalled watching a television series base around the idea that all electricity simply stopped working (Can't remember the name). The primary idea behind the usage of these weapons being that...well.....modern firearms are much more difficult to manufacture in terms of tolerances necessary to maintain an effective firearm. A simple musket or blunderbuss is far less demanding on such tolerances.

Such weapons as muskets, blunderbusses, pepper-box firearms, and pistols would feature increased damage in comparison to their modern counter-parts due to the general increase of caliber along with exponentially reduced cost of manufacturing (perhaps the introduction of "scrap wood" or a way to harvest such substance) to be the main component in their creation. Another notable feature being that rather than having the standard "penetrating" effect of a standard bullet, they would have tremendously increased knock-back based around the idea you are firing a metal ball of significant caliber.

The ammunition of these weapons would also cost exponentially less as the rather simple manufacturing process of melting a metal into a spherical mold, the primary component of this process being small parts, with very few chemicals being required for a relatively large sum of ammunition (preferably the most efficient type in terms of cost-to-amount). Blunderbusses being the special case as all that is required to manufacture their ammunition is small-parts (going a long with the idea that virtually anything can be loaded in these.

Here are a few examples of what could be implemented and please keep in mind when I talk about range I am speaking in comparison to other similar weapons, a musket is never going to hit a target at 400 meters.

The Musket & The Carbine :

Spoiler:

Muskets and Carbines would be the most accurate, though not by much, firearms of this set. They do the most upfront damage but take a significant amount of time to reload and could create relatively large clouds of smoke. These weapons would also double as melee weapons, weather or not that comes from the weapon butt or a bayonet mounted to a musket giving the user tremendous melee range. Carbines would reload slightly faster due to decreased length of the barrel. These weapons would also have the greatest base knock-back power per projectile. Increasing the weapons proficiency skill would yield a slight accuracy and reload time buff.

The Pistol and Pepper-box Pistol :

Spoiler:

The pistol would also benefit from the same larger calibers as muskets, however they lack slightly in knock-back power. They do however would have an extremely fast reload by comparison to the other weapons. The Pepper-box pistol would trade off knock-back power, reload speed, and even more precious accuracy for sheer rate of fire. Both weapons should produce minimal clouds of smoke. Increasing the weapons proficiency skill would yield a slight accuracy and reload time buff.

The Blunderbuss :

Spoiler:

The Blunderbuss would benefit from ridiculous amounts of projectiles and spread, while suffering from relatively lengthy reload and lack of accuracy at anything not in front of your face. This weapon produces the opposite effect in which you inflict knock-back on yourself. Increasing the weapons proficiency skill would yield a slight reload time buff.

Anyway, just an idea.

I'm waiting...:

☽ Luna Nobis Providet ☽
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: [Suggestion] Who needs a magazine, stripper clip, or cylinder?   Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Misread title as : "Anyone need a Magazine, Stripper Club, or Cylinder?"
I am disapoint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: [Suggestion] Who needs a magazine, stripper clip, or cylinder?   Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:57 pm

That TV show is called Revolution I'm pretty sure. One of my friends (Phil) was talking about how dope it would be if his entire community had muskets and they just made a firing line. Back in the day of Monroe Republic, hence his communities name.

Anyways, this is a good idea that won't work unless a reset happens. Even if a reset does happen people are just going to scavenge 24/7 so they can get the arsenal they used to have before the actual reset, rather than have shitty, horribly inaccurate weapons. You would also have to make body armor increasingly hard to make/rare, and make medical supplies expensive to all hell. Because you know, people can pop an entire VIP medkit and restore their health back to almost full after getting hit by a really lucky musket ball.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cap-Coop

PostSubject: Re: [Suggestion] Who needs a magazine, stripper clip, or cylinder?   Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:05 pm

I intended these more as an existing crutch for new spawns and re-starters for those who don't have the wealth that comes with community. As such it would prevent those types of people that simply scavenge for new communities in the hopes they can have an easier life while still putting them in their place on the playing field with such a long reload time.

Also to deal with your issue of the horrendous accuracy. I don't expect people to be pulling Lee Harvey Oswalds with these weapons, but engagement range when you are being raided are rather short and I could see such weapons as Blunderbusses having use as a sort of entry attack while pulling out another secondary weapon being a finisher. After all, they may not be very accurate, but 100 meters is well within effective range assuming your back is already against the walls of your base and your enemy is virtually around a corner.

When I think about it I can see these mainly being used as defensive or PVE weapons. Then again if you remember me very well from last year, I'm not that much of a fighter and well, from a conversation I overheard on cs_desert you're apparently much more experienced than I am, being a "God of War". x3

☽ Luna Nobis Providet ☽
Back to top Go down
View user profile

[Suggestion] Who needs a magazine, stripper clip, or cylinder?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1