HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

New Animations System and the importance of female player models

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What do you think of a better character model system?
I support it.
89%
 89% [ 34 ]
I do not support it.
11%
 11% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 38

AuthorMessage
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:28 am

Just to clear something up, you'll still be able to set your models back to half Life 2 with PAC and it will work the same as it does now, but you won't be able to use any of the FALLOUT models on top of HL2 models because they have different rigs (bones). You can however make PACs using Fallout Models and their animations as a base for a PAC.

Re voting has been enabled.

Basically, I'm wondering how much of a big deal it is to have female player models in the gamemode. I almost never see people using them, and there are seldom any woman who play on the server.

Now this wouldn't really be an issue, however i recently unearthed a bunch of models that include animations from this gamemode
Spoiler:

I am fully capable of remaking this character customization system for the gamemode, but the sacrifice would be the use of female models.

Pros of using different models:

• Tons of awesome animations that look better than the Garrysmod Ones.
  • Character Customization including Eye Color, Beards and Hair Styles.
  • Tons of armors
  • Ghoul Race (Possibly)
  • Tons of armors
  • Separate armor, helmets, and hats

Cons of using different models:

• No female models off the bat (Although I could attempt to import some, it might not be present initially if ever)
  • You'll have to remake your PAC Outfits as the rig on these models is different from the ones in Garrysmod.

I personally support it because I think it would be a really nice addition and help to let this sever stand out and personally I don't like the Half Life 2 character models. It would also be really fun to work on and I love the armors in it.

Screenshots:

Due to bodygroups, there's actually a lot more.

Last edited by Bizzclaw on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
ArtikNinetails

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:38 am

All I see:

Love the idea. Completely on board with this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pripyat

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:23 am

Tons of people use female models like Tipsy, Rebecca, Whitewood and Kyle Smith and many others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebecca
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:41 am

Yeah! It will be a cock fest. Needs moar boobies. Sad

StormySunrise

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 am

Rebecca wrote:
thats why we have PAC Smile

117'th Legion Remnant

99% Caustic Chloride Mustard Gas Toxic 24/7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pripyat

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:30 am

StormySunrise wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

You can make boobies with pac? Wouldn't you have to import boobies as a custom model?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whitewood

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 am

I personally think you should work out the current bugs and issues with the latest server version before implementing and introducing new content that will be equally broken and needing to be tinkered with, leading to more time being consumed working on patches for everything.

While i would like to see the potential use of better player models, i dont wish you to rush anything getting them out, regarding the use of female models. Plenty of players use them regardless of irl gender. I started out on the server wanting to RP as a russian chef/cook(cultivator), so i chose to use the female player model to have fun with the RP idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Supreme Forum Overlord
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:50 am

Pripyat wrote:
StormySunrise wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

You can make boobies with pac? Wouldn't you have to import boobies as a custom model?

There is a female model that comes with PAC, just search pac3 in the browser in Gmod, and it should be one of the results

Also: In the video they have a quest system, this could be a pretty good re-do to the tutorial, and if you made a system that makes it easy for  you to create quests, Admins could use them when hosting a event, or make faction leaders set quests for their faction.

For example: When a admin would host a super-mutant event, on the top left of the screen the AI woman would appear and tell you "I just detected some super-mutants near (Location here), wanna go fight em?", or when you are in a faction "Just to remind you: your faction leader wants you to collect (Insert item/resources here) and bring it/them back to them."

Last edited by Coront on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:04 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added quest suggestion)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:50 am

Sounds good. Although if this is added then there would way too many Fallout models, there should be more variety in my opinion. But I doubt all of the models would be added anyways.

New animations sound nice as well.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raksho

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:26 pm

I really dislike half life 2 player animations, this sounds like it would be pretty awesome, at least imo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FreeYummy

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

not sure if my opinion counts but no, they look wayyyy too Rust(Game) feel like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pripyat

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Keep the boobies for god's sake! Don't change!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Just to clear something up, you'll still be able to set your models back to half Life 2 with PAC and it will work the same as it does now, but you won't be able to use any of the Fallout armor models on the Half Life 2 ones, as they use a different rig with a different set of animations.

Also they have middle finger animations.

Re voting has been enabled.

Whitewood wrote:
I personally think you should work out the current bugs and issues with the latest server version
I've never seen a bug report about anything broken from you, so that literally means nothing to me, whitewood. Are there issues that I need to fix? What are they? Post a bug report!

Last edited by Bizzclaw on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jeff Belinger
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:10 pm

ArtikNinetails wrote:
All I see:

Love the idea. Completely on board with this.

that's strange, so do I. odd isnt it?

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rev

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:55 pm

SInce you'll be able to change it back +1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Well I've just finished the framework for the animations, what's left now is defining all of the hold types, the character creation menu, and making weapons work fully.

For the record, when you load up your character, and you don't have any character creation data saved for that character, you will be prompted to make your character, which will consist of  changing your hairstyle, facial hair and eye color. Once Gmod updates to add some new functionality for textures, I'll add things like skin color, more eye colors, ect. I'll also be adding more hair styles from mods further down the line.

As far as getting female models working, I've been looking through the models and I'm coming to discover that it would be really easy to get them ported. Females will not be ready with this update, but when they do become available, everyone will be given the option to recreate their characters as females if they so chose.

As far as actual facial customization, like changing the modifiers of your brow, cheeks, jaw,ect, the future is unclear. I found morphs in the models that support these, but I'm not sure how to utilize them, or if they even work. Like female models they won't be included until later, but you'll be able to remake your character if and when they are.
Back to top Go down
Raksho

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Nice bizz, totally stoked for this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ArtikNinetails

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:47 am

Jeff Belinger wrote:
that's strange, so do I. odd isnt it?

It has been done.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:31 pm

I like the idea of changing to this system, but I voted no for the lack of female playermodels. I would recommend added female models before making the change, because there are actually female characters on the server, so changing to this system would either mess up existing characters, or would require the use of two separate model systems at once (Holy Lag!)

Coront
Supreme Forum Overlord
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 pm

DC, he said on the previous page that you can still use hl2 models, so the girl characters can use those until the fallout models are added in

Bizzclaw wrote:
Just to clear something up, you'll still be able to set your models back to half Life 2 with PAC and it will work the same as it does now, but you won't be able to use any of the Fallout armor models on the Half Life 2 ones, as they use a different rig with a different set of animations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raksho

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 pm

DCWasteland3r wrote:
I like the idea of changing to this system, but I voted no for the lack of female playermodels. I would recommend added female models before making the change, because there are actually female characters on the server, so changing to this system would either mess up existing characters, or would require the use of two separate model systems at once (Holy Lag!)
You're able to change back to Hl2 models using pac.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:43 pm

That still creates a problem, since the server will be using two different types of models, it will lag even more, and look inconsistent.

Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:30 am

DCWasteland3r wrote:
That still creates a problem, since the server will be using two different types of models, it will lag even more, and look inconsistent.
No offense, but are you sure you know what you're talking about? It won't cause any lag and I'm optimizing it as best as I can. Do you not have faith in my abilities despite what I've already done?

Anyways, I got bored so I re-coded the entire melee weapon system from scratch. Melee weapons can now be lowered/unequiped with E+R. I'm also using the fallout hands view model, not because they're form fallout but because I have so many melee animations. I've got animations for one handed melee and two handed melee with built in blocking, and so far they're looking very nice.

I also redid the sound system, so there's better swinging sounds for weapons and dynamic surface aware impact sounds for each weapon. This is all including fists. If you see me running around punching the walls, it's not because I'm pretending to be a noob, I just really like these sounds.

Speaking of fists and hands, they've been merged into one, so when you select your Hands/Fists, you can pres e+r to lower/raise them. You can also block with fists now, but they aren't very effective unless whatever you're fighting is dealing blunt damage to you.

I need to figure out a system for getting weapon models and effect to appear where they should, because as of now, the toolgun and physgun are hanging out in your crotch, I'll probably end up forcefully changing the world models of those to some random fallout one and hiding them so that the effects which parent to the world mode's muzzle position appear in the right place while manually drawing the models in the hands (Like what FAS does.)

Speaking of FAS, I'm really not looking forward to this - I need to go through all of the FAS2 world models and modify their positioning and angles to fit perfectly in the Fallout model's hands. It's going to be such a pain, but I'm glad FAS already has a system in place for this.

On the note of female models, It might actually be sooner than I thought. I was able to successfully get a model with it's rigging preserved from fallout into the .SMD format (the format that compiles into .mdl, which the source engine reads). basically I got it into a state where it could be made into a working model on the fallout animation I already have. The problem is that I'm having some difficulty adding new animations, so if I did add females they would be using the male animations which may look kind of silly, but would be better than nothing.

I'll post a video of my progress soon.
Back to top Go down
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 am

Bizzclaw wrote:
DCWasteland3r wrote:
No offense, but are you sure you know what you're talking about? It won't cause any lag and I'm optimizing it as best as I can. Do you not have faith in my abilities despite what I've already done?

It's not that I don't have faith in your abilities, it's just that I've had issues with lag for most of the time I've played postnuke, and, from my general experience, whenever something is added, the lag gets worse.

Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: New Animations System and the importance of female player models   Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:35 am

The funny thing is that the animation system is only 10 lines of code that reads from a table. I know how to optimize.
Back to top Go down

New Animations System and the importance of female player models
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next