HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

Some Suggestions about the Rules

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ed the Fringe Settler

PostSubject: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Hey,

I wanted to make a suggestion concerning the rules, mostly the death side.

As it stands right now, when you die you don't lost everything. You lose your equipped items and you only lose a certain percentage of your exp and resources (10% I think).

Now this would be fine, if not for one of the rules. The rules concerning scamming.

So if a player scams you out of resources/item, you will never be able to retrieve what you lost. Even if you kill the player, you wont get back what you gave him. Only except if he immediately equipped the item.

So my advice would be to make scamming illegal. If the player has no way to retrieve what eh was scammed out of, it seems unfair to allow it in the first place. No game has ever done this system that you have, and for a good reason too. You either lose all your items, or there's an official trading menu to make sure you get a fair deal.

If you dont want to do that, then make it so that on death a player will drop everything. Then make storage containers within a reasonable price or put in some kind of banking/storage system. That way if a player tries to scam you, you kill them right then and there. Get your items back.

I know there are these vending machine things, that's cool and all. However they're really expensive and many can't afford them.

Reason I'm making this suggestion is yes, I got scammed today. So I'm a bit biased on the subject, I realize that. 225 of each. Took me 2-3 hours to make these resources and I scammed out of them with no way of retrieving them. I felt it was a bit..stupid in design. I probably wont be playing on the server any more, yes I'm going be that guy. Spent a lot of time in this server grinding for stuff, and I just don't feel like I'm doing anything. Just endless grind. Afraid to make any sort of weapons because of how much they cost and how I don't want to lose them. Tried making a community and got 10 members, some haven't been on for 4 days. Ones that I do see come on for maybe 10 min-30 mins then leave. So that initative and doing something creative with that fell through because of lower player retention rates. It's just if I'm going to spend 4+ hours a day like I am grinding, I'd rather do it on a more stable game where I don't have to worry about resets. I'll probably pop back in every now and then to see how you guys are doing, but I wont be spending any enormous amounts of time any more like I have been. Not saying this game mode is bad, but it just isn't for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
:F|F: Price
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Well hey, I once built a complete crap base on the fly and lost 10k of each resource from being raided and losing the stockpile.... I was back on an hour after that... Losing resources just makes you a better player honestly because I always tell myself I will double what ever I lose and I usually do. Don't give up on the game so soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James King

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 pm

The game is kinda like dayz in the beginning, huge grind for items and if you aren't careful you lose everything. But if you play for at least 4 hours a day you will get a good stockpile of stuff in no time!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed the Fringe Settler

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:43 pm

I'll try, but its starting to get a bit...annoying.

I feel like they should be trying to encourage a community. Not dissuade people from being a community by doing things like protecting scammers in everywhere imaginable (not just no rules against them, the in ability to recollect your lost items after a scam. Huge protection right there). There just isn't a lot in this game mode right now that convinces people to play together and group up. Scamming is not helping it at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedCloud

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:35 pm

thats why you only pick trusted folks to make your shit for ye.

Ed the Fringe Settler

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:36 am

My issue is how many people can I trust? There are mybe 10-13 players that come on more than once in a week. Often they all don't come online at the same time.

The server gets maybe 1 player for every 10 that join that play longer than a week. I've tried making two communities. First one had about 3-4 players. They stopped playing so I remade one with a new name. Same thing happened.

I just feel like if were going to have scamming, I should be able to kill the scammer and get back what I lost. Right now you can't do that. So instead of it being fair, the server is inadvertently protecting and encouraging scamming. They either need to make rules against it or change the mod so that you drop everything not in storage when you die (which requires changes to the storage system too).

Right now it seems like most people either know maybe 1-2 people that they do business with. Most seem to just switch to the class they want and make stuff by doing that (only for really expensive items) or buy from vending machine things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:01 am

Honestly, this isn't very well addressed since for as long as I can remember, scamming was never much of an issue. I don't like the idea of scamming, and I'd like to make it impossible to do so, but if I made it against the rules it would be really hard to moderate and I simply don't have the time to work on a crafting menu as I'm already incredibly busy with about 10 other things for the gamemode at once. (Currently Character creation system, new animation system, energy weapons and AI enhancements) I'm also planning to re make most of the gamemode from scratch here pretty soon, so working on a trade menu is out of the question for the time being. I'm not going to make t so everything is lost on death as that would be stupid in my opinion and would make people want to quit more than being scammed.

And man, why do you have to go and compare PNRP to DayZ? I mean I don't mind DayZ, but I hate what it's done to the perception of post apocalyptic games. Postnuke has been around much longer than DayZ and prior to DayZ there was a lot less issues with RDM, although that might just be the Garrysmod community deteriorating as a whole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Ed the Fringe Settler

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:44 pm

Yeah I guess I can see your reasoning. It's defiantly impressive what you've done with garrys mod and this game mode.

I think most people compared things to DayZ because it became one of the most popular, so most people know about it.

In terms of the community deteriorating here on Garrys Mod, I don't think that's the case. There's really no game that can replace it at the moment. I remember before gmod picked up, most people played in Hl2dm and those RP servers. I still remember the first DarkRP server (I don't think it was called DarkRP at the time) and playing on it for a bit. Everyone eventually moved from hl2dm RP to Gmod.

So I think what's happening is more game modes are being created that attract peoples attention more. Things like TTT, prophunt, zombie survival, The Purge RP, etc.

In terms of RP gamemodes and post apoc game modes, people seem to like one thing. Combat. Arguably this is the same community that turned DayZ into a shitty game mode in respect to what genre it is (post apoc survival). So trying to attract that crowd can be dangerous because we don't know what will become of the game mode.

I know a few of the players that I tried to help get into the game when they joined and they were in one of my communities often cited boredom to why they were leaving. Such as I asked what happened to a guy when he mysteriously left one night the following day. "I got bored and went to go play 1942RP".

So I think what we could explore is the possibility of encouraging community vs community warfare. One possible way to do this is to put "nodes" in the map at bases/locations that exist on the map itself. We'll use CSC desert as an example You'd have a node in the vault, mountain base, military base, and the bunker (maybe gas station too). Depending on the size of the maps and how easy they would be to defense/attack affects what the nodes spawn. Like the mountain base, military base, and vault could have nodes that automatically produce chemicals. Players can then pick up those chemicals. Easier ones could produce small parts, and easiest scrap. The capture it you have to be a community founder or rank 2. Allow communities to fortify these locations by making them bases. Putting in fading doors, etc. Maybe then well see communities start fighting each other over resources/locations.

But like you said moderation wise, it could be a hassle. Same with coding wise.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mathew95597

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Ed that would defeat the purpose if everyone is fighting over the resources if they were put in bases and that would make a lot of players leave if that happened but non-other the less I have no idea on how that would really go down. I am not always on the Server but I am always on here now to say what is on my mind.

Mathew -Lone Scout
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ed the Fringe Settler

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:50 pm

It wouldn't be required. The in world resource nodes that you find in the game right now would stay.

I'm saying put a special node that acts sort of like an advance mining machine for each resource in each base.

There are three things I noticed pertaining to this

1. Communtities aren't diverse. Atlas is probably the biggest and makes up a bulk of them

2. Players rarely do legit PvP. Sometimes they'll warn someone to stay away from a chemical spawn, other than that everyone is allies with everyone else

3. Raiding bases rarely happens because not many people need or do make private bases that can be raided

4. 90% of the area in maps usually goes unused in terms of player basing. Sure players may go by them to look for materials, but usually everyone crowds in one location. Think CSC desert. How many players make bases in the moutain? Military base? Bunker? Most will go to the town/gas station, rarely the vault.

We need to give players a reason to base in other zones. Putting in resource nodes that produce an above average amount of resources can not only give players a reason join a community, but also give them a reason to actually base in other parts of the maps instead of just one location.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:36 pm

1. I don't know about that, but then again I typically don't get on the server unless I decided to do a quick count on my supplies, and possibly get more if I want to.

2. Each time I'm on the server I'm prepared to fight someone. I absolutely want someone to fight every damned time I'm on. And Legion isn't allied with many people.

3. The bigger communities have the balls to do that, other wise you'll have to keep an eye out for the smaller ones that covertly attempt to store their stuffs in their stockpile once the server is cleared of the big boys.

4. Not to advertise the Legion/Sparta or anything but this can't really go without saying... Legion and Sparta never really based in the town or the gas station in CSC desert. In fact, we try to stay away from big groups of people to avoid accidentally shooting bystanders if someone raids us I guess.
I typically go single player, choose a base I like and make defenses and what not. I don't make them Iron Cage/Eternal Fortress (for you 40k dudes) impossible, but my peers insist on doing so for some reason.

One thing all of these places I choose to build have something in common. Pre-built buildings that can hold a healthy amount of grubs and a large place for the boys to place down miners. You don't need resource nodes that spawn a lot of resources. Having a lot of miners and grubs gives a community their pride and something actually worth defending. Not "Oh, if we die we'll just loose our next shift of resources." Now its a matter of that they HAVE to hold the line. Defend their honor, their power source, and their grubs. Just adds some spice to the whole matter.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mathew95597

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Thank you Tactical, I was going to nitpick it but you beat me to it. XD

Mathew -Lone Scout
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: Some Suggestions about the Rules   Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:45 pm

>Iron Cage/Eternal Fortress
yes, you are now officially my battle-brother. Imperial Fists are best Legion, Sons of Dorn is best chapter

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Some Suggestions about the Rules
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1