HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ed the Fringe Settler

PostSubject: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:54 am

Hello,

So it was the first time I've seen this map. I'm not sure if it was custom made by FF or not, but I thought I'd give my little review on it.

Pros
+Unique Environment, snow

+Detailed Underground and Above Ground

+Metro offers high risk, high reward scenarios (spawn-> trainstation via metro)

+Metro looks and is designed very well

Cons

-Metro is placed right in front of spawn and is arguably none newbly friendly. Many new players could easily meet their deaths

-Most gathering nodes are found in the metro. Again not newbly friendly.

-Most of the map is underused. There is a ton of open space. Most people seem to gather infront of spawns and set up their shops or go down into the Metro. Train station, factory, graveyard (seems an utterly pointless location), and lake town are heavily underused.

-FPS lags. My FPS is horrific on the map

- Metro Ghouls. While ghouls are pretty easy to fight, bad FPS moves against this. I saw many people die at the hands of ghouls down there. The FPS lag while fighting ghouls is really bad, especially when they're more than 2. This further makes the metro harder and none newby friendly.

Suggestions

1. Give more incentives to go to the other parts of the map, or get rid of them. I suggested before, but special nodes that continually produce a certain resource and is placed inside bases to be capturd would be a great incentive to get players to go out, explore, and base.

2. Move the spawn. Having a bunch of players standing in front of the Metro and setting up their shops just looks...bad. Put the spawn in the town or perhaps in the Metro Station with the pre built shops. It would look a lot better and feel better. More apoclyptic instead of seeing horrifically (usually) built makeshift homes.

3. Get rid of the ghoul spam. Don't get me wrong, if there wasn't the horrific FPS lag the ghouls would be fine in their current state. However the lag and the quantity of them just makes the map too hard.

4. Add in radiation zones to this map and others. I think something you can do to help emulate this high risk and high reward scenario is to take advantage of the radiation system. Put areas where you continually get radiation (like the crater in CSCdesert) and have to fight monsters (not spam them like ghouls). This not only makes it a high risk and high reward scenario, but it also increases the demand for items that desperately need it (radiation pills, pure food makes raidiation problems for most players low; Radiation suit, the price of this thing and what it protects just isn't worth it. Radiation just isn't that big of a problem at the moment).

Extra - Good Story

As an Ecologist, I always try to help others with my research. So I often find myself giving tours and answer quesitons of new players. I was giving a tour to some new players. Counting me we had about 4 people. I told them the high danger zones in the metro and to stay away from them. We then explored the map some more. We entered the Train Station end of the metro. I warned them about this being the hard area and asked if they really wanted to give it a try. They said they did, so we embarked into the darkness. While in there we met another 3 new players. Together we now had 7. As we slowly trekked down the dark and gloomy tunnels of the metro, we came upon the horde. There were 4-5 scrap nodes, 3 chemicals, and another 4-5 small part nodes. All within arms of reach of one another. The kicker? There were 9 ghouls (some feral, some reavers) protecting it. I strongly advised against the engagement, but the others insisted. It was 7 survivors of mostly crafting classes with melee weapons and no armor vs 9 ghouls. An awesome battle broke out. We lost one survivor, almost 2 more. However we killed them. We ran back to the station for fear of respawning ghouls and healed up. We returned to the location and began looting. It was a marvelous haul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xXxLegit_SwagxXx
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:56 am

I had good fps on the map when I was on but the server kept having ping spikes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:29 pm

I didn't get any lag on the map when I played it, and was mostly underground exploring the Metro. I liked the amount of ghouls down there because they can catch you off-guard and even scare you if you leave your flashlight turned off for too long. But I don't know about the surface problems because I've only spent about 45 seconds on the surface on that map in total.

Overall I think the map is fine as it is, but i'll have to see what its like on the surface before I make any final judgement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rezzy

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 pm

I absolutely love this map except for that random collapsing bridge. That's a few weapons, armor, and resources I'm never getting back again. At least a hokey-little warning sign in front would be neat so people didn't just plunge into an instant death trap. But hey, at least it kept me on my toes from then on.

Cap-Coop

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:27 pm

It always bugs me whenever I get on to scavenge with this map running since I have to fight my truck to drive it proper along with the oddity that is a subway in the middle of a desert. The above ground honestly shouldn't exist or it should at least be updated from the original map, (remove the desert and make it an urban environment possibly), the metro is after all the focal point of the map and is great n' all but there doesn't appear to be an infrastructure per say for "pre-located settlements" other than the primary station down there.

☽ Luna Nobis Providet ☽
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RemnantJohn

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:52 pm

more like white fucking everything cap-coop... it's one of the reasons i hate all the snow maps.. driving is absolutely atrocious. maybe change the old spawnpoint town to a large town with alleys and a villa or something
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:05 pm

I actually haven't had FPS lag problems on this map. Although I would agree, moving spawn away from the metro a bit wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't put it in a town though, because that would stop the town from being a useable base.

Ameno-Sagiri
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Cap-Coop wrote:
It always bugs me whenever I get on to scavenge with this map running since I have to fight my truck to drive it proper along with the oddity that is a subway in the middle of a desert. The above ground honestly shouldn't exist or it should at least be updated from the original map, (remove the desert and make it an urban environment possibly), the metro is after all the focal point of the map and is great n' all but there doesn't appear to be an infrastructure per say for "pre-located settlements" other than the primary station down there.

Nobody remembers what the land was originally. It wasn't a desert.

For clarification, the metro was originally a map by itself, I inserted it under a semi-bland wasteland map to give the space of two maps in one.

Imagine being on the original surface map without the presence of the metro. That used to be a very popular long running map. Now it has a huge metro under it, which in turn would have been amazing if it had a surface you could travel to, which it does now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaptnSmurf

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:16 pm

I personally love this map! I used to dislike the original metro map BECAUSE of the lack of a surface.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cap-Coop

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:23 pm

I guess I think too hard about these things when Garry's Mod isn't a logical game...
Also to clarify with me mentioning a desert I didn't intend to reference the original surface map I was referencing the dictionary definition of the desert.

" />

☽ Luna Nobis Providet ☽
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ameno-Sagiri
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:11 am

Map isn't changing either way, my job wasn't to overhaul the maps, just merge them. It still took about 24 hours and no sleep to finish. Many compiling problems, fog and skybox problems, and lighting problems. Some Brushes were corrupted only after compiling so I had to recreate them. The Snow on this map was actually just a placeholder until Bizz decided he wanted to put his better snow blend textures on the map.

I'm going to be merging a different Metro into another map that nobody on the server knows about sooner or later. I'll probably be turning that map into a winter wasteland as well, because sandy wastelands are getting sickening to look at.

Have to add vehicles that can actually drive on snow. Drive an airboat for now if you have complaints.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Google "Armored Snowmobile" If you could find models for something like this, it would be pretty cool.
Spoiler:

RemnantJohn

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:22 pm

the deep underground area with the broken floor is really hard to get out of, i thought you had to propclimb to get into that stairwell... maybe make a staircase there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ameno-Sagiri
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Could probably just make a kill trigger down there so you die on impact regardless of speed or angle.

I should just boobytrap everything in the metro. 1000 kill traps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ice Frost

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Ameno-Sagiri wrote:
Could probably just make a kill trigger down there so you die on impact regardless of speed or angle.

You're boobytrap just killed me and lost heavy stuff goddamn -_-

EX-Staff Member, I was demoted because I choose over anime and reading light novels than to play Fallout Decay for a long time, in other words, being inactive for all eternity that's the reason, folks!
See how many anime I finish!
See how many Light Novel I finish!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cap-Coop

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:14 pm

If you need models for vehicle that have been engineered for the driving on of the snow I know that Kali is of the makings of the good model comrade. Look at this stronk Soviet engineering. Only 20,000 kilometers on odometer!

☽ Luna Nobis Providet ☽
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3   Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Ameno-Sagiri wrote:

No KillTriggers Please. That's the worst part of those STALKER maps. Kill Triggers EVERYWHERE.

"Hey Bruh, look at that Tree."
"That's a nice tree."
"I like this tree"
*KillTrigger*

Map Review - gm_postnukemetro_ameno_p3
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1