HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ameno-Sagiri
CSC
CSC

PostSubject: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:39 am

To put it simply, there are two reasons why these things are not allowed:

1: The maps are not large enough. Source Maps do not have that extremely open world Fallout/DayZ feel. Everyone is cramped onto a small space that you can completely navigate in less than a couple minutes. On top of that, when someone is killed, they almost always run back to where they died. Even if this is against the rules, and an admin deals with it, it always results in a long admin sit, player conflicts, and shit that affects players even afterwards.

When you get killed in DayZ, as a non experienced player, you usually don't know where you are when you respawn. You can't just simply run back to where you died in less than a couple minutes, and find the killers and start complaining to them or admins.

2: It takes some time to build yourself up in this gamemode. We all know that every experienced player who is getting bored of this gamemode would want to be the bad guy to bring some entertainment back to themselves, and they WILL target newer players as well as other experienced players. Think how that will work for new players. If the wrong people are on the server at the right times, some new player will constantly be mugged/raided/killed/robbed by other players. New players will also do this to eachother, all the time, without restraint. People will always be on the lookout for players to fuck with when they're out and about. This would be fine in a DayZ setting (Slow paced character building works on LARGE OPEN WORLD, THIS IS NOT LARGE OPEN WORLD). This would work on PostNuke if the gamemode was designed where you get guns quick, you get ammo quick, you get medkits quick, and you get armor quick. Granted, you can get all these things quickly AFTER spending weeks or years of building yourself up, but that's not fair to new players, is it?

DarkRP works because you get money fast (Typically) and when you die, you just lose your gun and ammo, AND other players typically don't acquire it when you die. You drop suitcases AND currency in PostNuke when you die. That stuff affects you and the person that kills you. The person that kills you takes up the resources and items you lost when you were killed, and you lose potentially hours or days of grinding.

Why are plants not raidable?
Nobody was making shops. Cultivators typically don't make a lot, they sell things cheap and grow foods slowly. There was already nothing really going for Cultivator playstyles, and having their shops be raidable on top of that? No. Since plants were declared as non-raidable, I have noticed a lot more people setting up shops. In addition to them setting up shops, other people set up shops around them, and then people start offering services around those shops. I've seen a Taxi service, I've seen Corporal Taylor buy a building nearby and set up a gun market using Vending Machine display items.

If you see a shop with a locked door, and you know for a fact that a raidable object IS behind the door, you can raid a shop, otherwise you ignore it. Too bad for you, it's not raidable.

To sum it up, PVP and Open mugging/raiding/stealing is not allowed because the maps are too small, the gamemode is too slow paced, and it would just scare off new players. New players would not have a chance against experienced players. Another thing to factor in here is that even when a player is killed on PostNuke for a legitimate reason, they still complain, and it once again, involves a long admin sit with multiple sides of a story. We are however considering a secondary server which allows these things in the future when the new gamemode is finished.

Last edited by Ameno-Sagiri on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:28 pm

First of all, great post, now people can stop wondering why PVP, and crimes have become stricter.

I feel like the introduction of the armor system caused a lot of these issues. Don't get me wrong, I love the armor system, it's very advanced, well thought out, and above all, well executed. However, This kind of stuff wasn't that bad back when I played in 2013.

Armor is probably the most expensive type of item in the game, and they are well desired. Not only for defense increase, but for cosmetic difference as well (Good for those without PAC). Their desirability is very much a curse though... Think about it like this, the most expensive, non-WAC vehicle is the APC. A very versatile piece of machinery, carries a lot of people, stores quite a bit of items, and can go up hills with ease. Only about 4.2k of each for it. Now, you might be saying, "why are you talking about vehicles, when you're on the subject of armor?" Well, let's look at some of the new armor. The ones that require the extremely rare and one use only blueprints. When asked if I wanted to buy some recon armor, someone said they'd sell it for 3000 of each. Yes, I'm not joking, 3000 of each for an armor barely better than old riot armor for near 15 times the price, and that you can lose in an instant.

What am I proposing? Nothing. I'm just saying that to some, 3000 of each is an entire afternoon, and to have that wasted because you decide to get yourself killed seems pretty stupid. The armor battery system was pretty primitive, but armor batteries were easy to get, and didn't take a whole 6 hours of non-stop grinding to be decked out in.

Again, I'm not saying I like the armor batteries more, but the new armor system is pushing players from engaging in PVP.

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:33 pm

If anything, in my eyes, the armor system should be a reason why they should engage in PvP. Perhaps the more mild and safe people might not do it, but the more adventurous and aggressive players would fight for armor. Why? Multiple reasons.

1. It's armor.
2. You can sell it for lots of money! Assuming of course it's not armor that can be easily crafted, some armors like Conglomerate/Juggernaut's value can be negotiated with, as there's not really a set price for those armors.
3. Stupid reason, but it can be a trophy. Remember that time you and your buds killed four guys rocking hardsuits + M60s with a well placed ambush? You KINDA have proof of that... Well... I'll hush now.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:58 pm

I would agree with you, but those adventurous players are sadly few in numbers now. There are a lot of people on nowadays that are willing to quit over losing their conglo armor. I honestly don't know how to feel about it either. I would risk my stuff to possibly gain more stuff in a fight, but unfortunately, others don't seem to feel the same.

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff Belinger
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Speaking of losing conglomerate armor. I remember back in October before the Halloween event where I got to kill some guy because he was talking shit to me both IC and OOC. After he equipped his conglomerate armor, I peppered him down with my MP5 and took his shit since that was an open act of aggression IC. He then comes back, NLRing, tries to RDM me be gets stopped by Antwon or maybe Dan Kalosh, maybe both. After the sit, which went in my favor because of the witnesses, the player still bitched and moaned because of the lost armor to admins. My hand was forced to give it back to make him shut the fucking hell up.

I have 2 conglomerate armors in my truck I don't use, keep em as booty, like my 4 Barrets.

This is me providing proof to Ameno and Opsan's point: players are whinny when they lose their shinny shit.

I don't die often, but when I know it's valid, I call GG. When I complain, it's because I believe a rule was not followed properly, not just because I died.

*EDIT*: can we sticky this in the Generals forums, so we can have this handy?

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Opsan wrote:
There are a lot of people on nowadays that are willing to quit over losing their conglo armor. I honestly don't know how to feel about it either.

I feel like, fine let them quit if they do. Why bother throwing a tantrum about something as petty as that? That kind of attitude reminds me of elementary school, plenty of ignorant, stubborn fools who need the big boys to decide for them. It's like loosing my favorite toy if I were younger. Will I be disappointed? Sure as hell I will be. Do I want it back? You can bet money on it. But what I do is suck it up, don't complain and make sure it wont happen again.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:35 pm

Yeah. It'd be a fuckhouse where only about three people would have everything, and I for sure know that I'd have said fuck gmod a long time ago if this server was open PvP. There also wouldn't be any point to getting anything considering the amount of time it takes to get anything in the gamemode. I mean there's literally only one person with a nuclear reactor on the server.
Back to top Go down
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Another problem with "Open PvP" would be that unless you were playing with a bunch of abnormally nice people, absolutely no one would want to RP, since approaching anyone could literally be a death sentence.

Jeff Belinger
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:52 pm

Sounds like DayZ in a nutshell except when its Nightmare that recounts his stories

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bill Andrews

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:20 am

Also there are events to keep them entertained, conglomerates and such.
Also there was this big base raid event which had real players playing conglomerates
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malcom

PostSubject: Re: Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable   Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:55 am

FUCKYOUGHOULS wrote:
Also there are events to keep them entertained, conglomerates and such.
Also there was this big base raid event which had real players playing conglomerates

what the hell are you saying
needlessly bump old thread and off-topic?

Sakuya dance
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Why Open PVP/Raiding/Mugging Is Not Allowed/Why Plants are not Raidable
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1