View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ameno-Sagiri
Staff Manager
Staff Manager

PostSubject: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:21 pm

I implore you to read the other thread first: Click Here

Alright so I have some ideas on what to do with the server, including ideas for multiple servers, more open PVP, more PVE events, etc.
Ignore the fantastically ugly colors of this thread, I can't stand it when it's just plain blue. Ignore any spelling or grammatical errors. I did not proofread this.

Keep in mind that none of these things will come soon, Bizzclaw is working on too much other shit right now, and it will be awhile, if ever, before these ideas will come to life. Especially with Bizz working on a new version of PostNuke, which I'm just calling PostNuke 2 right now, he may want to wait until that is done before he gets to all these. Estimated time is several months to a a year, or more.

|PVP oriented PostNuke server|
This is the first thing I would like to get out of the way. In this case, I was thinking we could run 2 separate servers (Or more). The current one would still exist in its current state (But with improvements I will mentioned later in this post), and a second server which would have looser rules when it comes to PVP combat, and would be less of a safeland, more of a wasteland. There are things to take into consideration with this server. It will have more combat between players for instance.

1: Linked databases. Characters from one server carries over to the other, and vice versa. It will be like playing on the same server, but with looser rules.

2: A non-linked database. New characters and everything. Characters do not share data between the servers.

3: A non-linked database WITH higher resource flow. Resource nodes will pay out 3-8 times the amount of resources they do now. Everyone gets things quicker, everyone has more gear to engage in PVP with. You will die more, so why shouldn't you be able to get things faster?

1: In the case of linked databases, are the servers physically linked? For example; When you travel into a tunnel on Server 1 (PVE), a prompt comes up asking if you want to travel to a "Harsher Wasteland" and then teleports you over to Server 2 (PVP) on another map? Should this be a thing, or should the servers just be separate entities that you have to join manually?

2: What kind of rules would need to be put in place for this server? What kind of lua based restrictions need to be made? Spawn killing, or killing near spawn could not be allowed. NLR would need to be resolved with an Anti-NLR system that physically prevents it. What if a player runs a shop, what deems it raidable? What if they are raided too many times by too many players? What if the same person keeps getting mugged? What if Veteran players constantly hound down players to mug? There would need to be cooldowns on raids and muggings. If it happens TOO MUCH, people just might not play on the PVP oriented server, or it might not be favorable enough for new players to even get into if all the veterans give them a hard time. Again, this may work in DayZ, but that's because the maps are so large, you don't see people walking around EVERYWHERE all the time.

3: Running off of the last point, the server could not be FULL PVP. Everyone would still need a chance. It can't be kill on sight, especially with maps this small. What we're thinking is killing will be a more normalized occurrence. If you want to shoot someone in the face for being a dick, then do it. If you see some guy scamming people, you can be a vigilante and kill him. If someone has a locked up base they aren't letting you in, then raid it. You're a raider, you don't have to ask for their permission, and you don't need a reason to. On the flipside, public outposts will still be a thing. The point of this server is to bring back more aggressive players, or have a place for them to play.

4: How about a raid system? If someone owns a map door, or has a keypad in front of their base, a raider can open a menu on the door/keypad and initiate a lua based raid. It sets up a raid zone (Based on the doors/props in the immediate area owned by the raided players), a timer, a kill count, and alerts everyone that should be involved in this raid. 15 minute time limit (or more), stockpiles can't be picked up during this time by the raided side, and maybe a chance that the raided side MUST put a stockpile down in the raid zone?

5: Players would not be able to suicide or change classes on the fly, or if they are "In Combat". Maybe the same thing could apply to disconnecting? Some other system could be put in place for combat logging detection.

1: A three server setup. What if there's this looser rule server, the current server, and a PVE Only where PVP is completely disabled. Or maybe a setup where there's a FULL PVP Server, the current server, and a PVE Only? Maybe FULL PVP, Looser Rule, and then current?

2: Some maps are too open. If we ever considered something with open fire season, the snipers would be hell. There would need to be thicker fog, or this server could only use maps with more varied terrain coupled with fog. Some examples would be cscdesert. It's too open, and the fog would need to be thickened if a propose FULL PVP server wanted to be able to use it. Some maps that would be acceptable as they are off the top of my head: Ineu maps (with thicker fog), rp_apocalypse (with slightly thicker fog), gm_fork (Huge dense map, but bad frame rates)

More PVE based events. Everyone likes the conglomerate drops, so what if we had more challenges for players like this?
Event Ideas:

1: Waves of (Fallout?) raiders will swarm towns/areas with the most player activity.  They will use guns and melee weapons. They will proclaim and question you if you if you like the sight of your own blood.

2: Conglomerate/NPC Strongholds on certain maps. A stronghold that refills once every 30-60 minutes with Conglomerates, unownable doors, and random loot. Basically an NPC owned base that players can raid. We would try to make them difficult.

3: Certain stronger NPCs randomly spawning in areas of the map, just like pet headcrabs. Every 15 minutes there's a chance for a set number of stronger NPCs to spawn randomly around the map, or in darker/close quarters areas.

4: More weather conditions? Meteor storms (Hah DarkRP)? Blizzards with low visibility?

5: Generally more difficult enemies for players to use their guns/armors on.

All these things are just being theorized right now, and we're asking around for ideas and tweaks to the above concepts. Can you think of some ideas for more PVE Events? What kind of rules should be changed or added or removed for the PVP server? What's your opinion on the above concepts?

Post if you have any input, and yes, FUBAR will be unbanned on the more open server, don't comment just to point that out.

Anything off topic or non-contributing will be removed, including just generally bad ideas.

Last edited by Ameno-Sagiri on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Honestly, I would love the servers to have linked profiles. That way you could get gear on the non-pvp oriented one, and go onto the PVP to fight.

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:37 pm

fund this now

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlankJones
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:41 pm

This has been suggested multiple times in our past. I offer my full support once more to this idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Notorious B.R.L.
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:51 pm

I LOVE the idea of the raiders invading towns on the PVE server, it would make things alot more fun, besides the noobs running around crying saying "ahh raiders they have guns i dont wanna die *cry cry cry*" Other then that it would be really fun, i'm down.

Biggie Smalls
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evilsweetblock
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:43 pm

I like the raider idea, but instead of raiders, why not just regular conglomerates doing the raiding? Or both? Also, what armor would the raiders be using? Outlaw/Riot?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mathew95597

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:30 pm

I have to say I love this and should be done. Hard coding on that but could it the accounts be linked like that?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
StormySunrise

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:18 am

I like the idea of Stronghold and Raids, Makes the admins have to make less events like that and makes those more cooperative events. (admins dont get paid to do events guys) The serverlinking from PVE to PVP could be a nice way to RP bridge the servers and with that you probably would be good to have cross-server account linking too. Im all for the proposed ideas with linked servers and accounts.

Benifits :
1. A place to fuck eachother in the ass with large guns
2. A RP pathway into a more PVP oriented area
3. A Place to blow off steam
4. NPC events
5. RP scenario of strongholds + Raider attacks

Negatives
1. noobs just run to PVP server steal gear from bodies and run back to PVE land
2. People glitch out NPC events
3. People just go to the PVP server as a easy way for loot
4. People high-risk  high-rewar on the PVP server with linked accounts (scav get loot then run to PVE safeland)
5. Servers cost money

These are the obvious ones i jsut though up with so please add more if you see any more Benifits / Negatives

(just recoverin form a seizure M80)

117'th Legion Remnant

99% Caustic Chloride Mustard Gas Toxic 24/7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:29 pm

Let it be noted that the PVE oriented server will probably not be full PVE (Same with the PVP server). So you can still kill somebody if they do something like harass you incessantly. Honestly, I think I know a reason why people haven't been raising as much hell. They are scared that the ban hammer might come crashing down on them if they fuck up. I expect a lot of people to be on the PVP server. They don't have to worry about the rules as much on there, so they'll be more willing to fight.

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:43 am

Would people be satisfied with fighting tough raider NPCs instead of each other? Honestly, I've always kind of preferred PVE COOP kind of games and this has certainly influenced my design choices for Postnuke. I've heavily considered gutting PVP fully from the gamemode and structuring it more like an MMO so that it wouldn't require administration. Don't worry, this won't happen as I understand that people relish in the challenge of PVP, but not everyone. The problem is that Postnuke is supposed to cater to both those who enjoy PVP and those who prefer PVE by giving the PVP players opportunity to fight eachother and options for those who don't want to fight eachother, but the problem is that those who enjoy PVP stick together and pick on the PVE crowd instead of fighting eachother which would of been a lot more ideal.

Postnuke was made from the ground up with PVE in mind, that's obvious by looking at the classes which all need to work together to ensure survival. It's also not a fast paced game, it's meant to build up atmosphere and immerse you, not be a run n'gun experience, so I don't know how beneficial having a second server would really be running on the Postnuke base.

Also, I made raider NPCs on some random guys base three or so years ago for some old gamemode I was working on that never got finished and broke with gmod13

I could make them so much better now xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Daniel Reid
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:37 pm

I like the events idea and the idea of random strong Npc spawns. Make a Super Mutant Behemoth. Make it have good loot.

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Daniel Reid wrote:
Make a Super Mutant Behemoth.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Crucible
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:41 pm

seperate servers for pvp and pve would be a great idea in my Opinion, just keep the pve server the same and have a pvp server Completely devoted to pvp

Or as opsan suggested before...have the pve server completely devoted to pve and pvp completely devoted to pvp. The raider AI also sounds pretty cool

Daniel Reid
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:50 pm

I like the mix there is now.. it's a nice balance. It really is.

Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:48 pm

I think the server could definetly be improved with the addition of raider and bandit NPCs to its current set up. Just look at how blood thirstily people charge in at the sound of a combine drop pod, we could use more hostile NPCs with firearms, regardless of whether they have a chance of dropping the guns or ammo as loot. Hostile robots would also be a good addition for the couple of maps with deep vaults and the like.

Ban

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:11 pm

I like the idea of more npcs. Make a Super Mutant Behemoth though. Really. Could be a rare boss. And you could make it drop super rare items. Like fusion cores and whatnot. Or solar film. Or a whole freaking car! Or a bunch of junk. Make it a rare enemy and a rare chance to get rare things. Triple threat rare.

Just make a behemoth that shit would be sweet

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:17 pm

I think for the PVE-PVP server idea, the PVE server should still have *some* PVP. Just a little less than there currently is. The best way would probably be to make it harder to place hits/raid people.
Assuming that idea does get implemented.

Crucible
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Yyyeeeeep

StormySunrise

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Well im offering support again for the ideas, but I also offer support for hostile mobs that shoot, (cause hell going against npc's may be even harder than going against players (NPC's are most likely better at killing people then your average player), also sniper rifles still seem a little bit nerfed to me, theres like only three, five if you count the semi autos, and they are almost rendered useless for PVP because of the maps fog (considering I usually play a sniper role there may be some bias) for example I would like to sniper from the ridge on CSC desert into the town (that seems like about 800m in game) maybe have the fog instead make things in the distance more blurry so its harder to shoot at instead of like a blanket of pure darkness that nobody appears in?

Summary: hostile shooting entities are a green from me (a squad of combine can easily kill one player if the player isnt competent)

On PVP maps or in pvp in general, maybe blurring is a better way to have snipers harder to shoot things farther than 1/4 the map away? (take the largest map's 1/4 or even 1/6?)

117'th Legion Remnant

99% Caustic Chloride Mustard Gas Toxic 24/7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crucible
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Yyeeaaaahh....the zoom for the scopes does seem a taaaaaaaaad*coughcoughalot* unrealistic...
its like that one time on every comedy show ever when the guy looks through the binoculars backwarda

Ice Frost

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:40 am

*Cough* *Cough* It's a video game not all games are realistic.

EX-Staff Member, I was demoted because I choose over anime and reading light novels than to play Fallout Decay for a long time, in other words, being inactive for all eternity that's the reason, folks!
See how many anime I finish!
See how many Light Novel I finish!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpRaY_N_PrAy

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:06 am

I still think there aught to be some kind of raider or bandit that only dropped half-boxes of ammo, only for reimbursement. They could also uncommonly drop makeshifts and rarely a P226 and a "Grand Prize" drop of outlaw armor.
These are not supposed to be intimidating, but a challenge for armed newbs and sweepers of newbs with no perception of their own power. (The ones that go around punching everything)

:F|F: Price
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 am

raider npcs would be great fun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:12 pm

yes, agreed, would love to just pick em off one by one from afar.

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crucible
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Future PostNuke Ideas   Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:02 pm

Lets try not to have these raiders become overpowered like the super mutants....lets keep these guys nice and easy...so noobs can actually get in on some of the action

Future PostNuke Ideas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next