Upcoming update changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 pm

So as some of you may or may not know, a huge update has been in the works for the last month or so and I'd like to share with everyone what they can expect to see changed/added. There's also some controversial things that I'd like to address such as moving some class skills to different classes and such. Anyways, here's a bit of a list of the changes

• New Character Creation System
    Basically the character selection and creation screen have been re-made from scratch to feature a much more flexible system with full on character creation. While there currently are no sliders for adjusting your character's facial proportions (yet), you can select your hair style, facial hair and whether or not you'd like to be a ghoul.
  • Ghoul Race
    There's plenty of other races I could add, but I'd like to start with the ghoul race. If you play as a ghoul, you'll never be able to handle as much damage as normal humans dependent on your level of radiation, but you do not suffer any ill effects from radiation, and being irradiated is like standing near a fire place for normal players. I'm also adding an ability to normal humans allowing them to regenerate health as if they're standing in a fire when their hunger and thirst are both over a certain threshold, probably around 85 - 90%, however ghouls will not have this ability.
  • Fallout animations
    With the new character models comes their animations which in my opinion are a breath of fresh air compared to the overused default player animations. They also feature much better holdtype animations for melee weapons and support for holding heavy weapons, which brings me to my next bullet
  • Energy Weapons
    Energy weapons will be crafted by scientists and use their own ammo types which are also being added. At the start of this update, the Laser Pistol, Laser Rifle, Plasma pistol, Plasma rifle, plasma caster, multiplas rifle and Gatling laser are all being added. Yes, Gatling Lasers. I understand that some might fear this will make the scientists completely over powered, but I am stripping them of some of their other abilities.
  • Animal Husbandry/grubs moved to cultivators
    Lets be honest, it's rare to see cultivators, even after the alcohol update and Scientists have enough toys at their disposal with the robots, medical supplies, radsuit and now energy weapons. Also, it just makes sense that someone who prepares food would practice with animal husbandry. Now this won't be part of the update, but I intend on adding more animals such as possible farm animals like the brahmin, and the cultivators would be able to use their animal husbandry skill to better take care of them. It just makes sense to me.
  • More armors and headgear
    All of the current armors will have their models and names updated to reflect upon the new armor system, however some things about them will be different. Most armors feature uncovered heads, allowing you to be able to wear armor will still keeping your character's customized head visible unlike the current armor system, however some armors will still cover your head like the radsuit. Their will also be headgear added like various helmets and even some cosmetic hats.
  • New Melee weapon base
    I've completely remade the melee weapon base from scratch. The animations are a lot more responsive, and certain weapons will be two handed instead of one handed. All weapons will also have different levels of blocking defense, so a knife won't block nearly as well as a super sledge. Yes I'm adding a super sledge. There will also be power attacks if you hold down the attack button.

These aren't simply planned features, most of this is already done. In fact, all that's left is the headgear system and making the ghoul race mechanics actually work. (you can select a ghoul race and our character will look like ghouls, but it doesn't do anything). Also, your character will save a character version variable and whenever the character creation system updates and adds more features like females or other races, you'l be able to re-create your character. When you load into the server after this update, you might also realize that all of your characters will appear as plain bald dudes. Don't worry, if you click 'load character" you'll be given the opportunity to create your character's looks before loading into the game.

A note on hair color
You will also be able to freely color your hair with all of the colors of the rainbow. Now I'm hoping that people won't make their hair color completely ridiculous just because they can. I won't be surprised if a few people give themselves purple mohawks, but I expect those people to be able to pull it off roleplay wise. However, if I see a bunch of people running around with stupidly colored hair just for the heck of it, I'm going to strip that functionality and limit everyone to a list of hair colors. I don't want to do this, but keep in mind it would be easy for me. The list is actually already there, you can select form hair color presets in character creation. please Don't make me limit this system, I have high hopes that you guys will respect all of the hard work I've put into this - I deserve that much.

Anyways, I'll be posting some pictures in a bit of these features. Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions or questions about these updates. There's also some future updates which will tie into this update. I already mentioned brahmin and I'll also be adding a sitting command sometime later. Also,  females will be usable eventually. I just need to port all of the models from fallout, but I'm getting close to figuring that out.

Character Creation System video:

Last edited by Bizzclaw on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:47 pm

I have two questions: One, will the hard suit still be the most protective armor, and will that invisible armor stat become visible after this update? You know that energy one?

Two, will fedoras be a wearable hat? That'd be a wonder! Just imagine, 40 heavy-set white dudes running around with florescent pink comb-overs wearing purple fedoras. The swag levels would be reaching maximum capacity.

Other than that, this is amazing Bizz, I'm looking forward to energy weapons. I can't wait to get my hands on one of those gatling lasers!

#conehatisbesthat2012

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Last edited by Opsan on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added "s" do the end of "question")
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedCloud

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:08 pm

Soooo does that mean pac is dead?

:F|F: Price
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Any particular time frame as to when you expect this to come into effect?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Basically, We're working in Valve Time. It'll happen when it does.

EDIT: Actually, I'd say the generalization of "Upcoming" and "Soon" should do enough justice to imply that the update itself and gamemode changes along side it are to be expected in at least a month's time frame.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:23 pm

I got a video of the Character creation in action.
Back to top Go down
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Looks good. I've got a question about the regeneration after eating though. What rate will you regenerate at after having 90 Food & Water? Will it be as fast as standing by a fire, or slower?

Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm

I don't have any exact numbers, but you can expect it to be much much slower than the rate a campfire provides. If I had to guess I'd say it would be something along the lines of one or two points of HP every half-minute.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Comrade Yakov

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:13 pm

All cultists chant!
It's Happening!.com
Does this mean Brahmin meat?
I think you said something about brahmin milk a long time ago, and being able to carry things with a pack-brahmin.
Don't mean to sound like a bitch, but overalls might fit better than a casual vest,(And I think they are a fallout playermodel too,) but the trader bags make sense. tongue
Also, can't wait for the super-sledge animal tenderizers! Great work, coders.

Last edited by SpRaY_N_PrAy on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:20 pm

I was considering making pack brahmins replace vending machines.
And yes if I added brahmin, they would have milk. Milk would probably cure radiation and restore a small amount of hunger and thirst. There would probably be a cool down on milking, but that would probably depend on the owner's animal husbandry skill.

Butchering your brahmin would be a bit of a sad thing though.

Blackhawkdownabc wrote:
Any particular time frame as to when you expect this to come into effect?
I can't give an exact time frame, but considering that the character system is done and I only have a small amount of work left, you can probably say that it won't be longer than a month.
Back to top Go down
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Quote :
Great work, coders.

This is all done by one person, you're horribly mistaken.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:59 pm

Gnomp wrote:
I don't have any exact numbers, but you can expect it to be much much slower than the rate a campfire provides. If I had to guess I'd say it would be something along the lines of one or two points of HP every half-minute.

Ok. Cool.

mathew95597

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:01 pm

Well this is something I can look forward to on this update. Great work as always James.

Mathew -Lone Scout
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Comrade Yakov

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:12 pm

Gnomp wrote:

Well, Gnomp you certainly make it sound like you're a coder Neutral I now realize you were just testing.
In that case, Great work, Bizzclaw.

CaptnSmurf

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Would it be possible to add to the animal husbandry and implement mounts of some sort? Like rideable brahmin or horses? Or what about training guard dogs? There is so much possibility with animal husbandry that it could be a whole other class!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Quote :

Would it be possible to add to the animal husbandry and implement mounts of some sort? Like rideable brahmin or horses? Or what about training guard dogs? There is so much possibility with animal husbandry that it could be a whole other class!

Well, that is a bit far fetched, and with my prior knowledge I can definitely say that it is possible to have mounts and things of the sort. Although, it is all a matter of weather James can manage to code it into the gamemode. I'll see if it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Quote :
Well, Gnomp you certainly make it sound like you're a coder Neutral I now realize you were just testing.
In that case, Great work, Bizzclaw.

No, I'm just a playtester ;^^

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Well, as far as mounts are concerned I do have the horse models from skyrim ported to source...
That possibility probably won't be explored until the distant future though.
Back to top Go down
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:24 pm

With the Skyrim mod on the workshop (which no longer exists) you could ride the horses and use weapons on them I think.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:40 pm

I used to have a copy of that leftover in my addons folder, but I lost it. It's possible someone still has a copy that can be run through the GMAD Extractor and edited. Could be useful.

:F|F: Price
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:00 pm

so what will happen to our pulse weapons once the energy weps will be added?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:41 pm

Quote :
so what will happen to our pulse weapons once the energy weps will be added?

Nothing at all, Pulse Weapons are their own weapon set alone. Energy Weapons are their own weapon set as well and will have their own attributes to go along with them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming update changes   Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 pm

So we'll have 3 types of weaponry

Kinetic: using kinetic force to damage targets using small projectiles at very high velocity. Large weapon base and varied weapon base, common ammo.

Pulse: somewhat odd mix of energy and kinetic forces. Weapons use smal, caseless projectile charged with a form of electric energy that causes damage superior to what the projectile would do without the pulse charge.

Energy: a beam of very dense photons of light or directed electricity projected in a straight line, conveying its energy to the target, singing them and causing burns and even shocks.

This is what I'm interpreting, correct me if I'm wrong

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Upcoming update changes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next