Share | 

(Rant) The Steam Workshop

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: (Rant) The Steam Workshop   Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:35 pm

So I was checking the forums and someone mentioned the old Skyrim NPCs that where removed for no specified reason and it got me really fired up and now I really need to get this rant out of my system.

I personally extremely dislike the workshop as steam can unmount and remove the addon from your folder if the addon is taken down and you can't really make any edits to something in gma format. The rules are also really stupid, such as having gore officially banned despite the fact that the game has zombies with their torso flayed open built into the game. The only reason you see addons with gore is because they don't actually enforce more than half of their rules. However, this didn't stop the Workshop admins from removing the skyrim npcs, a project that someone worked really hard on without giving any reason after horribly breaking the NPCs as a result of an update and lazy implementation of the old NPC base.

My biggest reason for my dislike of the workshop?
It's too simple. I miss the good old days where everyone who played the game could find the Garrysmod folder on their computer. Addon installation was like an idiot/kid filter; if you couldn't figure out how to move a folder into another folder, then you couldn't play the game properly and as a result the community was a lot more mature. I remember the good old days of innovation before TTT and DarkRP came around and ruined Garrymod's image as a sandbox game and turned into an arcade stupidity game. I wish I had known how to code back then when more people would appreciate my work (no offense to you guys), but between the Garry's mod 13 update, the workshop and the unnecessary deletion of Garrysmod.org, Garrysmod's community has suffered and the game has suffered as a lot of the old community has moved on, and the skids and mingebags have all grown up and replaced the community and made it an almost toxic environment. I'm just sitting in my little time bubble corner of postnuke while everything else falls apart around me and more uninnovative DarkRP servers that use nothing but addons off of scriptfodder and the workshop without any custom work done into them (No offense bleck) and the dime-a-dozen vanilla TTT servers that get a lot more players than a custom server with a lot of work put into it get put up. Normal run of th emill players have no respect for custom servers because they don't care for any of the servers they play on and have no respect for the work put in to them, which is understandable because most of the servers they probably play on don't really deserve much respect due to admin abuse, addons that are used on every server making them the same and the complacency of most server developers.

TL;DR - The garrysmod community is crap because of DarkRP, TTT and the workshop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Mike Nespo
Staff Manager
Staff Manager

PostSubject: Re: (Rant) The Steam Workshop   Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Agreed...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Ban

PostSubject: Re: (Rant) The Steam Workshop   Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:59 pm

Back, lets say, two years ago (Before GM13), I never actually played on any Gmod servers often, I have very, very, very vague memories of any time I did. I preferred to go on garrysmod.org downloading and installing mods, things like Halo vehicles, custom zombies, weapons from other games. All mods had far more work put into them; they felt more finished. I liked to create scenarios and see how they played out, lemme give an example of one I actually remember: on gm_construct (I rarely installed custom maps, and when I did, it would be maps like gm_city, gm_construct/flatgrass spin-offs, etc.) I fortified one of the bunkers, and set up a heli-pad with a helicopter prop (WAC wasn't around back then, and if it was, I didn't know if it.) on the other side of the map. Normally this would be easy, but back then toybox was a thing. I found a dupe on toybox (Downloading dupes automatically actually worked back then) that was x50 fast and normal zombies. I spawned them in waves, hid in the bunker for a certain amount of time and had other NPC's there too fending off the hundreds of zombies. Eventually, we got overrun and there was only me and two other NPC's left. With hundreds of zombies outside, and quickly streaming inside, I ran out with my two companions and made it to the helicopter after shooting my way through the horde, and as the only survivor. They killed me before I could delete them all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

(Rant) The Steam Workshop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: