View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:47 am

UPDATE / GOOD NEWS!

Crashing apparently has nothing to do with postnuke and is a problem with the new Gmod update and the use of certain functions postnuke uses a lot of. According to a facepunch forum moderator, Robotboy655, this issue will be fixed very soon and Postnuke will be playable again!

As many of you are aware, Frostburnt Foundation's PostnukeRP Enhanced Server is basically unplayable at the moment. Ever since the last update, the gamemode has become subject to sporadic instances of crashing with no definite solution. I must say that I am sorry for my lack of action against this matter, however I'm afraid I lack the knowledge -- assuming it even exists -- to address this issue in a timely manner. As I have stated before, PostnukeRP was programmed in a way that has been rendered obsolete by the recent update; The style in which it was created is no longer applicable and is rendering it useless. You have all witnessed the repercussions of this first hand.

PostnukeRP was made a long time ago by Radioactive Cricket (TBU), and while I've fixed many of it's issues, it is still full of unoptimized code, exploits, unneeded variables, unused functions, poor function structure, bad planning, unfriendly user interfaces, an ugly and generic heads up display, repeated bits of code that could of been made into functions, round about ways to do things that are easy to do otherwise and so much more. It's sickening how bad it is and what's worse is that the gamemode is so badly coded that even before this update it would still take longer to fix it then it would to make a new gamemode.

So I'm doing just that. I've been planning to do this for a while and most already know about this, but I'm getting tired of re explaining it to everyone, so here's some of the basic concepts.

Please understand that most of these concepts have not even ben programmed yet, and many of these features are subject to change. depending on your feedback, so let your voice be heard

Lore wise, the new gamemode is going to be based on the fallout lore and as such will take place in the Fallout Universe. The current story will be done away with and items will have this reflected. The gamemode will take place in an area away form the other Fallout games as to be as lore friendly as possible, and I'm working with Gnomp, a Fallout lore expert to make sure it fits in as best as possible.

The gamemode's current working title is Resurgence. I have received many mixed opinions of this name, some saying it's brilliant and some saying it sounds terrible. That's why it's a working title and I'd love to hear more suggestions.

So what will make this different from Postnuke? Will it be better? Is it worth it?
I'll start to answer this question by listing some of the key features of Resurgence.

• The servers will be hosted off of the dedicated server, meaning we can host as many servers as we need with more stability.
  • There will be multiple server's running at once all on different maps. You can travel between the maps at certain points with the same character.
  • Maps will be split into different tiers of danger level, with the highest level of dangerous zones spawning raider NPCs and PVP will be unmoderated while in the safer areas pvp will be straight up disabled. PVP areas are the only areas where raid-worthy items will be usable, such as the new gamemodes versions of grubs or miners.
  • Loot will no longer be based on sitting at resource nodes. It will be container based, meaning instead of eating cars, you'll have to open up their inventory and collect the scrap metal from them manually.
  • Crafting resources will be a lot more complex. INstead of scrap, Small parts and chemicals, you will craft items using various miscellaneous items. Scrap metal, Copper Wiring, Silicon, Duct tape, ect. Some of these items will also have a weight, meaning you wont' be able to carry infinite amounts of them at once.
  • Fully fledged condition system that effects every item from food to weapons and it will change how effective items are. Most weapons and armor will also have a "dynamic max condition" which lowers slowly as the weapon is continually damaged. This will also serve to scale loot with player progression. Weapons will be found while looting cars and building containers, including firearms, however most firearms found will be severely broken with a relatively low maximum condition. A weapon's condition will make it jam, lower it's accuracy, increase it's recoil and maybe slightly effect it's damage.
  • No classes, what your character does is dependent on what you chose to specialize. You can chose some skills to start with that are higher at base, and there will be another layer of skills that determine your character's attributes, think Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L System.
  • Utility experience - Scavenging loot, using medical supplies to heal, crafting items, cooking, and performing other non combat skills will reward you with Utility EXP which can be used to upgrade utility based skills.
  • Combat Experience - Doing damage to enemies will reward you with Combat Experience allowing you to put points into combat oriented skills. In most cases it will only work if you're attacking NPCs, but if two players are fighting and one of the players is wearing a "PVP" armor they will receive combat XP. In example is raider armor. There will be a limit to the amount of XP you can get from a specific player to avoid exploits.
  • Your character will have a level that represents their current progression. It's won't effect gameplay and character stats in anyway, but it will serve as a reflection of your character's progression. You will also be able to select perks every few levels that will allow you to add interesting traits to your character.
  • Everything from the current Postnuke that I have made will be readded in Resurgence, including the character creation system and the NPCs.
  • DT will be used instead of DR for armor.
  • New equipment system, equipped items stay in your inventory but will be marked with an "equipped" flag. When you die you will drop everything with the equipped flag, however, you can select a single item that will be marked as your "favorite" item. This item will not drop, but it might lose a bit of condition and max condition.
  • Armor and weapons mods that save, sort of like the mods you can get for equipment in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, so not just different sights and silencer, but internal mods.
  • Long lasting death debuffs - Dying will cause certain issues for your character, and the way and PVP deaths will be worse. the way these debuffs are set up will male them impossible to ignore, for instance one idea is that your incoming EXP is reduced by 50% and it will last until you get a certain amount of EXP. This will encourage people not to die despite not losing their favorite item, and will also make them think twice before messing around without their armor (trolling) just to mess with people.
  • Hunger and Thirst are sort of reversed number wise. Characters will start with a hunger and thirst of 0, and as the numbers increase status debuffs will start to be applied. Sort of like RADS.
  • Inventory will be weight based like presently, but it will work a bit more like stalker in terms of weight limits; After a certain threshold, your character's speed while start to degrade based on how over encumbered you are, and eventually you won't be able to move.
  • Inventory capacity will be determined by what "Backpack" a player owns. Backpacks are permanent and will not be dropped on death, meaning that obtaining new backpacks won't be easy. Players will start with a base inventory which consists of the pockets on their person, but this won't have a very high capacity. Some armors will also raise your weight capacity.
  • Many more things, as well as almost everything currently in the postnuke, including a community system.

What about my current Postnuke Character?
While the gamemode will serve as more than a replacement for Postnuke, the character data is saved in a completely different way and the structure of the character's inventory and experience are impossible to transfer. Besides, it would be better that with a new gamemode would come a fresh start.

How long will it be until it's ready?
Not any time soon, it is being made from a scratch so it will take quite a while, but don't really expect a definite deadline. Still, don't give up on your Postnuke character just yet.

Will there be an alpha/beta?
Currently I'm building all of the core systems of the game without database saving. This means that nothing will really persist on the server and all of your character data will be lost when you reload the game or the server shut's down. I will be hosting a server running this once it's playable despite the saving in order to find bugs though.

Are you doing this alone?
Actually no, while I do intend to make most of the base Resurgence systems myself, in fact a good bit of them are already done. Still, I'm going to get some help from Thunder Bosnich, a programmer's who's friends with Aesop. His main job will be getting character saving to work once I get the base gamemode set up.

I'm a mapper/lua scripter/modeler/animator and I'd like to see this happen so much that I'd like to help!
I would really appreciated any help I can get.

As I've said many times, this will serve as more than a replacement for postnuke, and despite the features that would otherwise replace ones in postnuke, basic functionality that postnuke has will still be present in a different way such as the community systems, character creation, custom AI and the dynamic music, but it won't be the same and it certainly won't feel the same, but I'll let you all be the judge of that when the time comes.

Last edited by Bizzclaw on Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:16 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Sif Green
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:59 am

I'm glad that there has been a post on this finally so it's known for sure what's been going on. Great job on everything so far and good luck ahead with the new server. I'll help in anyway I can if you need me to, if I'm able to do it of course.

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:51 am

By any chance could we contact players on different maps with the radio? If not, how would we?
Also, are we allowed to rp as fallout characters?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sif Green
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:34 am

I'm guessing we can't talk on radio cause that's more of like a teamchat thing on one server. TeamSpeak is a great way otherwise if we can't.

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:00 am

I just can't wait to play on it and this is something that really gets me excited for. Different maps, items, no classes (most will hate me for saying that but I don't care!), and making sure your weapons are in tip top shape, looting containers and other things (other then players lockers), and more! I must give you best wishes to you Bizz and you too, Thunder for helping Bizz work on this.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fade Attano
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:33 am

Will their be new Donator perks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am

Probably, I know that you'll be getting Double experience and more props still, but I don't know about other things. One thing I considered was players could work really hard to somehow obtain the ability to favorite more than one item, but if you're a donator you get it right away. I still would like feedback on ideas for things like this, as the last thing I want is to see the gamemode turn into a pay-to-win game.

EDIT:
Looks like Garrysmod just ot another update. This may have addressed whatever was causing us our issue with crashing, but It's to soon to test as NFO hasn't even updated the servers yet. When it's joinable, let me know if it still crashes a bunch.

EDITEDIT:
Apparently not, server is still crashing constantly.
Back to top Go down
Sif Green
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:59 am

Silly Bizzclaw, how could you of thought that Garry would actually fix it?

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:52 am

Rest in peace postnuke lore

Circle
2015 Halloween Profile Pic Contest Winner

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:55 pm

Will PAC still be installed? If so, will it work the same as before? Crafting it/Applying?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Supreme Forum Overlord
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Will the repair system be like the Fallout 3 system?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Circle

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:24 pm

Will the car system be the same? Will there be new cars?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Supreme Forum Overlord
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Oh! I think that each car you have should get a separate inventory, as opposed to a shared inventory
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Circle

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Coront wrote:
Oh! I think that each car you have should get a separate inventory, as opposed to a shared inventory

Yes, please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fade Attano
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Maybe As a Donator you can put more favorite flags on more items.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sif Green
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Whatever the donator perks are, just please don't restrict certain things like weapons only usable by donators. It's what almost every darkrp server has except exclusive jobs as well.

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Pac will be on the server, I don't see why I'd take it off.
Vehicles will have individual inventory, condition and fuel management.
Repair system will work more like Fallout 3's than New Vegas's, as in your repair skill will limit the level at which you can repair an item.

Also, I was thinking that there would be a way for players to work very hard to earn the ability to flag more than one favorite item, but donators might be able to get it off the bat. I just want to make sure the gamemode doesn't get too pay to win. That idea is probably subject to change.

Oh and I forgot to mention how ammo will work.
If your ammo is in your inventory, you'll be able to use it, however when you die you will lose a certain percentage and all of your magazine's of that ammunition
Back to top Go down
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm all for the idea of a new gamemode, but I am 100% absolutely opposed to the idea of starting all over again with literally nothing (Least fun part of PNRP is starting). If you could POSSIBLY find ANY way to port characters to the new gamemode, You should do it. Hell, I'd actually PAY to keep my character.

Sif Green
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Comon' DC, don't be tiny baby man as heavy would say. I love a challenge and I think it's much better to start all over again, and this time you start again with many new people. It just makes it fair for everyone considering many things will be new, and this means that the things you have currently will be obtainable in different ways. Also, the things you have currently such as resources won't be so broad such as just scrap, small parts, and chemicals, instead there will be much more then that such as different crafting materials too. Now of course it's not a nice thing to know that you won't have those things you worked for, but this is gonna be like a whole new game again so its a fresh start for everyone.

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Sif Green wrote:
Comon' DC, don't be tiny baby man as heavy would say. I love a challenge and I think it's much better to start all over again, and this time you start again with many new people. It just makes it fair for everyone considering many things will be new, and this means that the things you have currently will be obtainable in different ways. Also, the things you have currently such as resources won't be so broad such as just scrap, small parts, and chemicals, instead there will be much more then that such as different crafting materials too. Now of course it's not a nice thing to know that you won't have those things you worked for, but this is gonna be like a whole new game again so its a fresh start for everyone.

Eh... I just don't like the fact that I have a competent faction and can actually afford things now, and it's just so happening that the server is going to reset, destroying my faction and ALL my stuff.

Seriously though, I'll actually pay.

Sif Green
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:11 pm

DCWasteland3r wrote:
Sif Green wrote:

Eh... I just don't like the fact that I have a competent faction and can actually afford things now, and it's just so happening that the server is going to reset, destroying my faction and ALL my stuff.

Paying would just make it pay-to-win if you payed for the stuff you had before while most other people start out with nothing, just like Bizzclaw is avoiding.

Also, considering you've been here for a really long time obviously it's not like what you've done will suddenly be forgotten. Everyone will still remember you're reputation and you can just create that faction again with the same people.

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:14 pm

DCWasteland3r wrote:
Sif Green wrote:

Bizzclaw legit just said he didn't want it to be pay to win. Also I have many items like 3 sets of t45d and 3 barrets and 25 antlion grubs and I'm completely fine with the fact of starting over, If everyone else has to start over whats the big deal? Its not like anyone is at an disadvantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sif Green
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:15 pm

So basically me and James said the same thing. 2v1.

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:39 pm

Though I no longer play on the server, I might play exclusively on the PvP server when it is set up. I'll play on the PvE server to get the basics, just so people who managed to get the higher-tier stuff way before I do don't ROFLstomp me back to the stone age.

But I do have one simply suggestion for the new server. If your pack is heavier, then your character moves slower. This is so people don't stack 10x boxes of ammo and 10x VIP medkits and just spam them. People will want to travel light if they're going on patrol, and pack as much as possible if they go to a stand up fight.

Also, stamina regeneration should depend on your helmet. Enclosed helmets should slow down your stamina regeneration and open ones shouldn't hinder it at all. I don't know if this is already a thing with the helmets, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Supreme Forum Overlord
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:43 pm

DC, he said it's actually impossible to transfer the characters.

The systems are completely different from the original server; the code is literally incompatible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Official Statement of affairs.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next