AuthorMessage
Daniel Reid
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:50 am

Damn. Money. The big factor.

Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:08 am

So how much does it take to keep the current server up then per month?

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:29 am

Not that much pretty soon seeing as how I'll be moving it to the dedicated server within the month.
Also, a bit more info for those who are curious: The reason the server crashes is because every time the SetNWVar function, a common function in gmod lua, is called, it has a chance to crash. It's a rather small chance, but postnuke uses that function a lot, it's practically the core of how the game networks, so it has a high chance of crashing a lot more often. This is why the server seems to crash when players perform certain actions such as dropping items, spawning in, and killing combine because all of those actions spawn entities that run that command on themselves on initialization.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Sif Green
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:37 am

Did facepunch give an estimate on when the patch will be out? Not sure if you talked with them personally or if there's a thread on this somewhere.

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Bizzclaw wrote:
Not that much pretty soon seeing as how I'll be moving it to the dedicated server within the month.
Also, a bit more info for those who are curious: The reason the server crashes is because every time the SetNWVar function, a common function in gmod lua, is called, it has a chance to crash. It's a rather small chance, but postnuke uses that function a lot, it's practically the core of how the game networks, so it has a high chance of crashing a lot more often. This is why the server seems to crash when players perform certain actions such as dropping items, spawning in, and killing combine because all of those actions spawn entities that run that command on themselves on initialization.

Wait so is there gonna be another rollback when the new update drops? Or is Resurgence close enough that it wont matter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Quote :
Wait so is there gonna be another rollback when the new update drops? Or is Resurgence close enough that it wont matter?

Nothing will be rolled back, Postnuke as it is will stay as it is until further notice. Resurgence won't be progressing into Alpha anytime soon, so just enjoy Postnuke for the time being. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
James King

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Gnomp wrote:
Quote :

Nothing will be rolled back, Postnuke as it is will stay as it is until further notice. Resurgence won't be progressing into Alpha anytime soon, so just enjoy Postnuke for the time being. Smile

Can i get a refund on my little bird then? Or is there no more refunds, I think i heard bizzclaw say something on the forums about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crucible
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:01 pm

So......if the dedicated server system allows you to host"as many servers" as you want....you could keep the old server and create the new game mode and have it on a different server. I mean, you wouldnt even have to update the postnuke server, you can just let the admins handle any problems and you can work on your new game mode.

Last edited by Spartan574 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Once the server is up and operational I'll have no problem refunding you, given that another staff member doesn't get to it before me. I'll also have to ask that you remind me when the time comes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Quote :
So......if the dedicated server system allows you to how "as many servers" as you want....you could keep the old server and create the new game mode and have it on a different server.

That is definitely an option, but I honestly believe Postnuke 2 will be enough to satiate the needs of the old. Now unless the popular demand is high, Postnuke will be put down to make more room for the new web-work of Postnuke 2 servers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
James King

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Spartan574 wrote:
So......if the dedicated server system allows you to host"as many servers" as you want....you could keep the old server and create the new game mode and have it on a different server. I mean, you wouldnt even have to update the postnuke server, you can just let the admins handle any problems and you can work on your new game mode.

Bizzclaw said it cost money to keep it up I think. As for Gnomp thanks for letting me know I can get refunded.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DCWasteland3r

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:09 pm

Well, as far as "Popular Demand" goes, You can count me in on the people who want to keep the old server. You could just brand it as "PNRP Classic", do one final update if there's anything you feel is "missing", and then leave it be.

Crucible
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:10 pm

It would require minimal upkeep, now that we know the problem with the server is gonna be fixed by garry later.

Jim Warren

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:19 pm

I am also all for keeping the current Postnuke running, i love the server and think once the gmod functions are fixed it will come back to life again, and bring donations of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
:F|F: De Luca

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Well, as far as "Popular Demand" goes, You can count me in on the people who want to keep the old server. You could just brand it as "PNRP Classic", do one final update if there's anything you feel is "missing", and then leave it be.

I agree with DC.

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:36 pm

I kinda want both. I am kinda getting bored of the Postnuke (again)....which is why I stopped playing it for a few months back before.

(mostly do to Real Life things and other games I went back to. I kinda don't like doing the same thing over and over again. I give the game a break and come back when I feel like I need to. Just how I work, also the crashing after this stupid 15 update.)

I want a new gamemode just cause I want to try something new but also don't want the old gamemode gone as well in case I somehow get bored with the new one. Just to have the old one and remember lots of fun I had with everyone on it.....
(Now here comes a whole bunch of post bashing against me for saying about this.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Exavolt
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:40 pm

I'm excited either way.

Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:18 am

I would very much appreciate if we kept the old gamemode... just spent so long playing it is sad to see it be thrown away. I really hope theres a way we can keep it as it was my first gamemode on gmod.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sif Green
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:23 am

Everything dies eventually and something new comes.

Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:29 am

Quote :
I would very much appreciate if we kept the old gamemode... just spent so long playing it is sad to see it be thrown away. I really hope theres a way we can keep it as it was my first gamemode on gmod.

I'll restate my earlier argument to this. There's no real reason to be afraid of the new Postnuke, it's going to be better in every way. I see no reason why people would want an inferior product. With Postnuke 2 we are improving upon every aspect that the original failed to shine at. Leaving up a legacy Postnuke server at this point would prevent players from experiencing the new and improved.

Stop being afraid of change when it's good people. Embrace the good. It tastes wonderful

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sif Green
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:31 am

Gnomp the only reason they don't want change is because most people don't wanna lose all of their things, not like anyone does, but most just can't handle it apparently.

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:42 pm

I don't think they're "afraid" of the new postnuke, I just think they want it for nostalgia, if anything you could release the source files so people can run they're own private one with friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
:F|F: De Luca

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:45 pm

Honestly, if the server is cheap to host and people want to play on it why not? You'll still get donations.

Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:15 pm

So if pvp is all out on one and completely disabled on the other what will staff moderate? Its almost removing our jobs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Exavolt
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Official Statement of affairs.   Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:17 pm

You can't possibly I think that is your only responsibility as staff. Do you?

Official Statement of affairs.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next