HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

Something important is missing from the server.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:00 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rev

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:11 pm

What
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mathew95597

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:13 pm

I don't know, why can't you? I'm kidding my friend. Wonder why people don't proper roleplay nowdays... some do and a whole lot don't.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Rev wrote:
What

Very constructive, thanks.

I haven't seen anyone willingly roleplay as of late. I've just been going around, in character of course, and everyone looks at me like I'm mental when I try to engage in actual roleplay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James King

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Probably because noone feels the need or want to. People will just try to get more gear and make their community larger and more powerful. Even though there are never any wars so all the gear will almost never be used.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:09 pm

That's the problem really, if players don't roleplay then the server becomes diluted in terms of content. This IS a roleplay server, and without roleplay it's nothing special. We kind of need players to do the roleplay role.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crucible
CSC
CSC

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 pm

I agree in full. The server needs more roleplay, most people generally treat this server like Dayz (aka MORE PHAT LÜT) people should try role playing for once.

Rev

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:19 pm

Gnomp wrote:
Rev wrote:
What

Very constructive, thanks.

I haven't seen anyone willingly roleplay as of late. I've just been going around, in character of course, and everyone looks at me like I'm mental when I try to engage in actual roleplay.

Hey, It's what I'm here for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:46 pm

Spartan574 wrote:
I agree in full. The server needs more roleplay, most people generally treat this server like Dayz (aka MORE PHAT LÜT) people should try role playing for once.

I'd also like to point out all of the hypocrites in the community, not you of course, but all of the people that complain about no roleplay being present and yet they sit around in town causing the problem they so vigorously hate.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:25 am

My issue is that people who try to roleplay get treated poorly. I added a tribal Underarmor recently hoping some people would give themselves a tribal backstory. I watched a few people attempt this on the server, and being Tribals they act as if they're ignorant to all technology and in RP they inquire about what things like vending machines are. Instead of people taking a few seconds to explain it in character, other players either ignore them or play them off as noobs/idiots. Towns are supposed to be major roleplay hubs, but right now all the buildings get claimed by old players, and new players are just forced out into the wasteland to fend for themselves while a bunch of people wearing power armor sit around memeing in towns. I get the most roleplay meeting people in the wasteland, but it all dissolves the second I walk into town. I don't see why all the veteran players can't just set up in bases around the map and meme there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Sinnamon Bun
2015 Halloween PAC Contest 2nd Place

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:32 am

People don't base anymore because of laziness or they are scared of losing their things. Even if there isn't valuables down people still refuse to base.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:43 am

Sinnamon Bun wrote:
People don't base anymore because of laziness or they are scared of losing their things. Even if there isn't valuables down people still refuse to base.

I understand that, but I just don't understand why "Being in Character" is no longer even understood as a basic means of enjoyment. I've had long, drawn out roleplay sessions that really just made my day. Anyone can make ANYTHING work as roleplay material if it's done right, it's just nobody wants to, or they just don't enjoy doing it. To be honest, if people don't want to roleplay or don't really get it a ROLEPLAY server isn't really meant for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sinnamon Bun

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:50 am

People are deterred from Roleplaying because it really isnt enforced by staff. An example is when someone actually ruins the roleplay of a single person or a group by interfering and not being able to roleplay properly.This causes a decline in people actively roleplaying. I've seen it first hand especially when it comes to Roleplay events. Such as, Wastelanders seeming to know everything about science or engineering and vice versa. It mainly comes from people's characters just knowing and doing everything. Honestly, seeing that does kill the roleplay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:09 am

Sinnamon Bun wrote:
People are deterred from Roleplaying because it really isnt enforced by staff. An example is when someone actually ruins the roleplay of a single person or a group by interfering and not being able to roleplay properly.This causes a decline in people actively roleplaying. I've seen it first hand especially when it comes to Roleplay events. Such as, Wastelanders seeming to know everything about science or engineering and vice versa. It mainly comes from people's characters just knowing and doing everything. Honestly, seeing that does kill the roleplay.

It's not so much needing to enforce it, it's more or less people just not understanding the concept of roleplay, or just not having enough self-control to do it properly. It's comparable to an elementary school session of pretend where the kids keep pulling the "Well I have an energy shield that just fucks over whatever you just did." bullshit. I really agree with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sinnamon Bun

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:21 am

I do too. The elementary bullshit is RP in a nutshell at the moment. I can't RP as an Knight of the BOS because of the crap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ember_Drake

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:26 am

I joined like 2 days ago. and already made friends and at least incorporated 5 different RP chars. each having a different personality, and profession.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
:F|F: Price
CSC
CSC

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:05 am

While me and sinnamon were patrolling we stopped to talk to a player. He inquired about our gear and we started RPing with him. As soon as we start a rando player runs up and talks about how our power armor (The t45-51 series iconic brotherhood armor) is complete shit and that his is sooooo much better because it requires a blueprint then he goes on about how much easier wed be to kill. (not true) This completely messes up whatever rp we had going. Now my group rps alot and honestly players like to rp with us but these random ruining are unavoidable sometimes. And like you said Jamz we also tried to rp in town but we were just ignored mostly. I actually think we talked to you IC but we were the ONLY players that even slightly rped with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 am

I'm glad the issue is widespread enough so that it's beginning to become an irritant because at least if it's a noticeable annoyance we can do something to fix it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
De Luca
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:00 am

I approached the Tribal yesterday and told him that I almost mistaked him for a ghoul and then told him to put some real clothes on.

Also, I belive it was Knight Bruce with you when that guy started going on about the armor unless it happened late last night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:43 pm

I once roleplayed as Barvius, The Powerblasting Godsend Mirelurk! Barvius is the most powerful mirelurk in all of the land, he can kill you instantly in two seconds using nothing but his eyes. He also runs at a million miles an hour and jumps like he's on the goddamn moon because roleplay. If it's one thing Barvius is good at, it's coughing. In fact, that's all he does when he interacts with other people. Barvius is so unbelievably powerful, he once did a backflip, only to end up on jupiter harnessing the strength from the Red Spot.

Move out of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, there's a new shelled creature on the block.

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:47 pm

Opsan wrote:
I once roleplayed as Barvius, The Powerblasting Godsend Mirelurk! Barvius is the most powerful mirelurk in all of the land, he can kill you instantly in two seconds using nothing but his eyes. He also runs at a million miles an hour and jumps like he's on the goddamn moon because roleplay. If it's one thing Barvius is good at, it's coughing. In fact, that's all he does when he interacts with other people. Barvius is so unbelievably powerful, he once did a backflip, only to end up on jupiter harnessing the strength from the Red Spot.

Move out of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, there's a new shelled creature on the block.

Opsan wrote:
No need to be a dick.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
James King

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:15 pm

I didn't intend to say I role play frequently or even at all. Its just every time I think of an idea in my head I just go "People would just ignore me so Ill go get some dank loot"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RedCloud

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:56 pm

Bizzclaw wrote:
I don't see why all the veteran players can't just set up in bases around the map

I'll tell AAAALL you mo'fuckas what the problem is with base building, starting now:

For one, I absolutely LOOOOVE building bases. Nothing provides a cooler sight to see in the wasteland than massive, awesome, unique walls with flags and propaganda posters covering the front. and When you walk in, seeing a heavily fortified former gas station with grenade and sniper shielding, and hand made walkways and catwalks with soldiers standing on either side of the door.

Hell, I remember some months ago, I decided to fortify the gas station on csc desert, with much of the features mentioned overhead. When the base was finished, suddenly, a (I think) ice frost's faction raiding party was making rounds, circling the base and setting up robots. then this led to a massive cuban missile crisis sorta deal, where I was fortifying inside, trying to scrap up whatever robots i could and setting them up. And then I couldn't even leave for fear of head getting scoped off, so I had to send cossack support parties out of the base to secure food and water shipments, as well as medicine. And also commanding a grenadier squad to do rounds to try and find a suitable position to fire upon raiders, as well as a cossack regiment commander telling me on radio about his reconnaissance missions on the party whenever they moved out periodically. When the raid did actually happen, it was a tad lack luster, but the build up was totally worth it. We didnt even have to try to rp, because there is no discerning rp and ooc when a base is added to the equation.

Now, enough from the book of big dumb tales of red cloud. Currently, the way I see it, a good base takes time to build, around 30 minutes to an hour. Now seeing how as of late, I have MAYBE 2 hours tops of gameplay on the server a week, thats a big chunk outta it, so sometimes its more worth it to just patrol around, or make an extremely small embassy. Now you might say, "why not adv dupe it?" well simple: When people see a base being constructed, it gives it that certain vulnerability that its just like any structure out in the wastes, inciting more aggression to raid it. On the other hand, if you are looking at a derelict military base, and the very next second combine wall props are up with keypad doors in the click of a mouse, certainly makes it feel a whole lot more invincible dont you think? I mean thats just how i feel, but im certain others feel the same way as well. The way i see it, while a hand made base gives it that more earthly feel, sorta like its real (kinda hard to explain), an adv dupe base immediately turns away a whole lot of would be raiders, simply because they assume that someone who has an adv dupe base has already accounted for every single scenario of aggression to be met with immediate death, or that its a narrow corridor and 16 dudes with machine guns will mow you down in half a second, while being JUST barely a legal base. I guess a handmade base gives it that sort of vulnerability, like a raider would think "oh oh oh maybe he left a spot open in the defenses!" instead of an adv dupe base where the mentality is "not even fucking worth it, he probably has accounted for every possible way a raider could try to loot"

Now, the problem that completely overshadows base building in a whole would be the prop limit. Ever since i got my admin taken away, my glorious VIP level is gone and im stuck with a, what is it? 50 prop limit? Honestly, I don't know how you can sit there and ask players why they won't make bases, when I'll be right in the middle of making one and BOOM: "you've reached the prop limit!" well oi vey goy how am i gonna make an awesome base when i run out of props just making the fucking lobby look nice??

But mind you, lets turn away from that for a moment. Lets just completely ignore the really ridiculous prop limit, and focus on another massive problem: the material tool is completely broken!!!! how am i supposed to make anything look nice, or even semi-rp, when all my big cool walls and bases look like a source level that's textures are broken and is just showing grids? Painting it only temporarily solves the problem, since the grids still show, and even if they didnt the paint immediately stops showing (or is very faint) whenever you shine a flashlight on it. So what was an awesome base is now just an untextured eyesore sitting out there in the wastes.

Another problem I ran into, actually quite recently when i had a bit more time than usual, was spawning big props. I spawned a relatively large one, and it was ghosted. I though "ok, I'll just wait a bit." But i waited for a solid 5 minutes, and nothing. It was still just as ghosted as it was when i spawned it. So even if we ignore the broken materials, and the broken prop limit, i cant even BUILD a proper base!

So yea, thats my big dumb spiel about bases, take it for what its worth.

Exavolt
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:13 am

The perma ghosted props are a known bug. The fix is to copy that prop with the advance dupe tool, spawn it, then un-no-clip it using the reload function on the no-clip tool. That's how I do it.

Ban

PostSubject: Re: Something important is missing from the server.   Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:55 pm

Bizzclaw wrote:
My issue is that people who try to roleplay get treated poorly. I added a tribal Underarmor recently hoping some people would give themselves a tribal backstory. I watched a few people attempt this on the server, and being Tribals they act as if they're ignorant to all technology and in RP they inquire about what things like vending machines are. Instead of people taking a few seconds to explain it in character, other players either ignore them or play them off as noobs/idiots. Towns are supposed to be major roleplay hubs, but right now all the buildings get claimed by old players, and new players are just forced out into the wasteland to fend for themselves while a bunch of people wearing power armor sit around memeing in towns. I get the most roleplay meeting people in the wasteland, but it all dissolves the second I walk into town. I don't see why all the veteran players can't just set up in bases around the map and meme there.

Veteran players do setup bases but not often. When there is a large base up nobody wants to raid em even with a valid reason because it would end up with that large community or individual on teamspeak whining to the staff and the raid getting voided.

Half the time we setup we don't even get a knock.
Just silence and sitting.

If a good raid is even possible anymore it's next to impossible to keep what you went for.

Note: only referring to large groups and players.

"Hands up, don't ban"

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Something important is missing from the server.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next