HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rezzy

PostSubject: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:47 pm

"What is this?
Just a collection of RP tips and stuff.
"WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS"
This is first and foremost an RP server, and the lack of good RP to be found can be very bothersome.
I encourage anyone to post their own RP tips here!

1. Develop your character! Your first and possibly most important step in assuming and playing a role in any RP setting is to create your character! Don't just give them a name, give them features, goals, desires, fears, flaws! I like to emphasize flaws, because nobody ruins a good RP more than a Mary-Sue (or Gary-Stu, if you prefer). Don't be afraid to make your character something you personally don't like, because that way you can strive to improve them through character development.

2. Brush up on Postnuke's canon (Wiki!). Now, this might be good to do so before you create your character. There's a page around here somewhere has a brief history of events in Postnuke. This will help with immersion and maintaining a consistent canon in the world. And for fucksake, don't write yourself as having taken place in an established event if you weren't there! There are exceptions of course, as some events are open enough so that you could have reasonable had a part in it, but try to keep it to a realistic level. You probably weren't the fabled wanderer who assisted/stopped Project Purity.
(Thanks to Coront for the link!)

3. Avoid using a character from another work as your own. This should go without saying, but blatantly ripping off another person's work is pretty lame. There's nothing wrong in using another piece of work as inspiration at all, just make sure you're not making yourself the Lone Wanderer from FO3 or the Courier from FONV. It's actually pretty ridiculous how many people I see out there who just use those as their own.

4. Utilize emotes (/me), whispers(/w), and yells(/y) appropriately. Most of you already know about these, but very few actually use them properly. Emoting is a good part of the RP experience after all, actions can still speak louder than words here.
For example, if you're exhausted, don't just say: "Man, I'm really tired. *Yawn.*" Try this instead: "/me yawns loudly as they rub their eyes." "Sorry, it's been a long day." Yes, using the second method takes a bit more effort, but trust me it can really help keep immersion up for everybody.
Whispering can obviously only be heard within a certain distance, but it is important to only react if it was directed at you. So if for example, you and your friend are being interrogated by a raider or Knight, you angrily mutter under your breath "/w Fuckin' pig." The Knight in this example should either not react (as it was not meant to be heard by them) or reply "You got something to say, asshole?" The same thing applies to yelling. Yelling should be used more sparingly however as it's range is rather surprisingly massive.

5. Don't intrude on other people's roleplays. I understand, sometimes you want to RP, but nobody around will give you the time of day. Then you happen upon a group of people who are actually roleplaying. If they want you to take part, they will say so. Now, there's nothing wrong with interacting with them as long as you maintain character.
For example: Alice and Bob are in the middle of a deal. Alice is listing off her inventory to Bob, and you (Charlie) overhears something that you would actually like to buy. The polite and proper way to handle this, is to either wait until their deal is done or to say something along the lines of "Sorry to bother you folks, but I couldn't help but overhear that you were selling a Model CMG. Would you be interested in selling one to me?" It's polite, it doesn't feel forced, it's in character, and if they don't want you to take part, they will at least remember you as having been someone who would be interested in future RP.

6. Relationships don't just happen. This is something I personally get a lot, and I'm more forgiving than most when it comes to things like this, but guys there is a limit. Don't just follow someone around and give them free things, get to know them! One of my favorite ways of getting to know people in the past was to visit a local bar or restaurant and chat with the folk there. Just because you were nice to someone once, does not mean you are entitled to involve yourself any further into their lives.

7. Interact with the world. This is easier on some maps than others. Found an abandoned shack? Why not make it your home? Set up a bed, or maybe a garage for your car. There's a reason people gather around the gas station in Mojave and the (only) town in csc_desert, they're easy to find and hospitable.

8. A side note about vehicles- when you drop them, leave them in the world. Don't just pocket that thing, park it somewhere! Keep it locked, maybe pretend to "tune it up" every once in a while. If you car gets stuck in some terrain for some reason, don't just make it disappear and reappear, get out there and "/me gets behind the truck and begins to push."

9. Set up shops. This should be a no-brainer, on top of putting yourself out there for buyers it also serves as a great place for people to gather and interact. As I mentioned earlier, I've had a lot of good friendships begin in a simple bar.

10. Remember, you're not the only player here. This is an entire wasteland we live in, and the world doesn't revolve around you. Respect other people and their RP. Don't get people involved in something unless they will actually matter to it, and don't expect people to always want to include you in their RPs.

Q&A:

Q:So I got my character done, but I can't really think of what to do?
A: Most of the moment-to-moment roleplay is IMPROVISED, just do what you feel your character would do in a situation. If you're character is currently thirsty, maybe tell your friends "I could really go for a drink, anyone wanna tag along?" If nobody is around, maybe go for a swim in the water because that damned sun is killing you (provided the water is not too radiated). Another example would be resting at your home. Get out of that armor for a change, it must heavy after a long day's work. Use a super stimpack? "/me lets out a sigh of relief."

Q:I'm not very good at coming up with things on the spot...
A: That's alright! While the day-to-day RP is primary improvised, the BEST RP is planned. I don't mean with a script, mind you, but have an idea as to what you plan on doing. For example, you could chat up a friend over steam that you will be at the nearby church fending off some antlions. He could play it off as having heard the gunshots, and you could have been in the area to do some scavenging.

That's about all I can think of for now. I know, I sort of repeated a few things, but they're worth repeating. Feel free to make additions, and if you have any questions about RP ideas, characterizations, or if you simply want to set up an RP with somebody, chat it up here!

Last edited by Rezzy on Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://reddeadrezzy081.deviantart.com/
Evilsweetblock2
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:17 am

My RP character got me hated by the three largest factions in the game.
Dont RP kids!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:34 am

Mike, I'm sorry that you were hated by the Immortal 50, but that is absolutely no reason to take out your anger on people who never offended you in any way.

Rezzy has obviously put a lot of work into this post in an effort to improve the rp of the server. If you had bad luck role playing, doesn't mean everyone else does. Please do not do this again.

On a side note: Very good work on this thread. And also, the page of the PNRP lore is https://sites.google.com/site/frostburntwiki/story
Back to top Go down
View user profile
James King

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:15 am

11. Get dank loot because noone roleplays

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:50 am

James King wrote:
11. Get dank loot because noone roleplays

I honestly hope that's a joke, I don't understand the lack of actual constructive comments on this thread. I mean, even though Roleplay seems to be making a comeback, it doesn't make sense to belittle a topic very worthy of a proper discussion.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evilsweetblock2
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:00 pm

Cawrunt wrote:
Mike, I'm sorry that you were hated by the Immortal 50, but that is absolutely no reason to take out your anger on people who never offended you in any way.

Rezzy has obviously put a lot of work into this post in an effort to improve the rp of the server. If you had bad luck role playing, doesn't mean everyone else does. Please do not do this again.

On a side note: Very good work on this thread. And also, the page of the PNRP lore is https://sites.google.com/site/frostburntwiki/story

Im not hating on RP or the people who enjoy to RP, I actually love to RP and I do it all the time, just not on Gmod. I'm just giving out tips, like the thread name says!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coront
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Mike Simms/Evilsweetblock wrote:
I'm just giving out tips, like the thread name says!

Mike, thank you for helping me create a new forum rule;

Let's enforce it, shall we? Would you like that?

Stop being a smartass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Rat

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:02 pm

what I usually do with non-roleplayers when im in rp is just see them as "braindead wastelanders" or stupid tribals.

From the place of ground zero, O lord deliver us.
From the rain of the cobalt, O lord deliver us.
From the rain of the strontium, O lord deliver us.
From the fall of the cesium, O lord deliver us.
From the curse of the fallout, O lord deliver us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:01 pm

Don't mind the vocal Minority veronica. I really appreciate you going out of your way and doing this. It's really a pleasure having you on the server, and I'm glad it's been able to happen more often. I really miss roleplaying on the server and I'm glad that it's finally starting to happen again. Even better now that there's guidelines on how to roleplay.

Do you mind if I submit this to a page on the Current PostnukeRP wiki as a general guideline for roleplay? You'll be credited of course, but it would be nice for it to be easy to find in the F1 menu. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
mathew95597

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:55 pm

Really like this guide. It looks like you put some well-thought out stuff and brought up really good advice. I love to roleplay and this make me more excited to see if anyone else will do this as well.

Mathew -Lone Scout
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rezzy

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Bizzclaw wrote:
Don't mind the vocal Minority veronica. I really appreciate you going out of your way and doing this. It's really a pleasure having you on the server, and I'm glad it's been able to happen more often. I really miss roleplaying on the server and I'm glad that it's finally starting to happen again. Even better now that there's guidelines on how to roleplay.

Do you mind if I submit this to a page on the Current PostnukeRP wiki as a general guideline for roleplay? You'll be credited of course, but it would be nice for it to be easy to find in the F1 menu. Thanks.

I'd be honored if you used this, be my guest!

Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:29 pm

https://sites.google.com/site/frostburntwiki/player/roleplay It's been added.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Rezzy

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Sweet, thanks!

Crucible
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Another thing which I see lacking is faction role-play. When you make a faction you should decide what kind of group you will be, wether you are a bunch of isolationist technophiles or a heroic group of warriors trying to save the wastes, make sure that your faction follows the ideals of your group. And leaders should be enforcing this, not just letting their members run amuk.

Evilsweetblock2
Ban

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:28 pm

@Spartan574
I tried to that, didnt work out, but meh, just me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rezzy

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!   Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Spartan574 wrote:
Another thing which I see lacking is faction role-play. When you make a faction you should decide what kind of group you will be, wether you are a bunch of isolationist technophiles or a heroic group of warriors trying to save the wastes, make sure that your faction follows the ideals of your group. And leaders should be enforcing this, not just letting their members run amuk.

I thought about mentioning something about RP when it comes to factions, but I've seen too many mixed results when it comes to having a full-faction RP. Take the UAR for example, a lot of people didn't like that they were anti-ghoul (amongst other things) and they were effectively destroyed for it. Factions are a really big thing, and nothing ruins good RP better than a PvP war. The main problem is that people simply don't want to risk RP when their stuff is on the line, and that's understandable. That said, I'm not saying it's not impossible, and I encourage people to try.

Roleplaying tips, advice, and possible Q&A with Rezzy!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Fallout Decay :: Fallout Decay General Discussion-
Jump to: