HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

We should upgrade the server capacity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GhostlyGhoul

PostSubject: We should upgrade the server capacity   Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:06 pm

I tried to log on today and the RP server was full. if this is just steam or garry's mod, then that is weird. But if not, we should consider upgrading the server's player capacity so that we can get more players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Comrade Veteran Chernov

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:10 pm

yea but the more people the more lag.

Ice Frost

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Welcome to Frostburnt at night when server is always full at night or at least almost full until 21;00 - 02:00 (est time) especially friday, saturday and sunday.

EX-Staff Member, I was demoted because I choose over anime and reading light novels than to play Fallout Decay for a long time, in other words, being inactive for all eternity that's the reason, folks!
See how many anime I finish!
See how many Light Novel I finish!

Last edited by Ice Frost on Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Made Man

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:27 pm

There's a few times where I couldn't join the server due to maximum capacity, but I'd rather have it at that than watching a slideshow with 60 players on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ameno-Sagiri
Ban

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:46 am

Oh boy, you guys would have loved it when it was a 25 slot server.

1st Forum Overlord
1st Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:00 am

Yet your magic PACS still made the server lag.

Gotta love those crazy dubstep pacs m8

Brigadier General Bacon
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:40 am

Ghostly, i'm not sure who you are but your posts so far have just been about us adding 500 player models and making it a 60 slot server. Due to the nature of our content, and the fact that we already have like 7 content packs, we cant just add more player models to dl. And the servers slots are as high as we can get them, we are constantly changing them based on the performance but unless someone wants to start donating a grand a month were not gunna be getting some god tier server host. Unlike dark rp which has the capacity due to its shear lack of any sort of actual content, our server is pretty maxed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GhostlyGhoul

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:05 am

well doesn't every server need suggestions? and i never said to add player models, i said to add the ABILITY to use player models.

Helpful member of Fallout:Decay's Community
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:27 am

I could set the limit to anything I want, the current limit is in place in order to maintain optimal performance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/ Online
Fade Attano
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:43 am

We need more dedotated wam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crucible
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:43 am

Any more player slots and everyone will suffer from trees (LOL), we are already kinda pushing it with the current player limit in my opinion, but this is necessary considering our community has grown a lot. Keep it the way it is.

Warandally
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:46 am

Yeah if we have any more trees California might completely run out of water. On a serious note: PowerPoint is a program seperste from Gmod, and that's what'll happen if we go anywhere in the upward direction in slot count.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ahugeabruceofpower

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:55 am

This guy's posts are making me hyperventilate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noodlers1
Ban

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:28 pm

I know Bruce. Literally every time I read one of ghostly ghoul's comments, a little bit of my soul escapes from me.

GhostlyGhoul

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:57 am

jeez im just aking a question, no need to hate on me.
thnaks Bizz, for answering my question. i wanted a more straight forward answer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:37 pm

You should bring the server back to 25 Kek
Back to top Go down
YermyWorm
Ban

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:56 pm

No pls. No kek.

GhostlyGhoul

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:52 pm

I witnessed a super lag yesterday so now I know why the server capacity needs to stay as is

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Sometimes, regardless of server population the server will experience annoying "super lag" This occurs when there is an error in the Map's navigation mesh and an NPC attempts to navigate to a position impossible to reach, causing the CLuaLocomotion engine (what the NPCs use to move and stuff) to error and destabilize performance. This has been fixed in most cases, but still happens on some maps during very unique situations when an NPC tries to move from one place to another. This also can be heavily attributed to use of robots, as players may unbeknownst to them place the robot in a bad spot and attempt to have it move.

It may appear that this sort of lag occurs more often based on population, but that is because with more players, there's more NPC interaction and thus an increased chance that this will happen.

Currently, the quickest way to resolve this issue is clearing all mobs on the server. This is why under periods of intense lag, all NPCs on the map will disappear, however this does not effect robots, so some times staff must teleport to robots in order to address this issue. Most of the time these robots are found stuck in a wall are broken in some other way, so they're simply deleted. Removing the robots does not remove them from the player's inventory, and the player simply needs to rejoin to get them back.

I'm still working on a way to fix this, but in actuality, testing one point to another for valid movement is so expensive on performance that it's not viable, although it would be nice if I could somehow tell NPCs to "ignore" certain points when navigating. Still working on a way to do this, but It's extremely complex.

To be entirely honest, the NPC base is alright I guess. It has a lot of features that most NPCs do not have, however regardless of the navigation issues they could be coded in a much more optimally way. I more or less learned a lot about how to code building these NPCs and that means they have a lot of mistakes. It's getting to the point where all of the NPCs systems are so precariously set up that slightly in-balancing one thing causes tons of issues down the line, this is why NPCs have suddenly been exhibiting very strange behavior, such as standing in place instead of attacking, running in place and so on following the most recent update. This is also why it's so hard for me to pinpoint what's wrong with the raiders, and have been unable to properly address their issues.

The NPC base is the one I was writing for resurgence, but I might just push it to Postnuke because of how bad the current one is getting. Keep in mind however that the NPCs on the base will not be resurgence NPCs, as the Resurgence NPCs will (hopefully) be using Fallout 4 models/animations.

Apologies for this wall of text, but I'm hoping to shed some light on a lot of the main issues concerning lag and I've been meaning to try and explain the issues with the NPCs for a while aswell. Since they go hand-in-hand, I thought I'd just include them all in the same post. I might make a new post going over the new NPC base in detail in the next few days if people are interested because there's a lot of changes between them and the current base. Also, i'm going to definitely need testers for them once they get to a point in which they can be tested (which will be very soon because I'll have plenty of time to test them over spring break), so look out for a post about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/ Online
Exavolt
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:27 pm

I am explicitly interested.

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm also interested

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noodlers

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:35 pm

I'd also like to test but I probably won't for my horrible behavior

http://www.frostburnt.com/t3643-caramelldansen-is-our-savoir
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mathew95597

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:35 pm

Interested as well. (If I got some time that is, college)

Mathew -Lone Scout
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evilsweetbl0ck

PostSubject: Re: We should upgrade the server capacity   Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:17 am

I would test, but my internet is trash.

#FreeMikeSimms:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

We should upgrade the server capacity
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1