Share | 

[WIP] Player Animation Overhaul

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: [WIP] Player Animation Overhaul   Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:28 pm

If anyone is having issues seeing the animations in game or it looks like they're still using the old ones, try manually subscribing to the workshop pack:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657991967

Ever since I added the Fallout models around a year ago, they have received a mix receptions. Most can appreciate the benefits of a custom animation base, and the diversity and potential for animations can introduce possibilities unthinkable when using the base Half-Life animations.

Still, many players couldn't help but feel like something was off about the models, and after spending the last two weeks porting over 600 animation files and writing over 4000 lines of model animation code, I think I can see what they meant.

The animations we've been using were originally ported in 2012 for the Aftermath gamemode by Silverlan. Now, I don't mean any offense towards him and the work he did. Silverlan also ported a large variety of creatures and their animations, so he had a lot of work to do. Still, they leave much to be desired in terms of consistency and quality, so I took it upon my self to completely re-port all of the animations for all of the hold types, as well as adding some that weren't in use before and applied them to the animation system.

Many issues and anomalies present in the current animations have been resolved, and the reflections of what your character is doing is much more accurate. I even went as far as to port various attack and reload animations for specific weapons, such as the Famas F1, which uses a custom bullpup reload animation so that the character will reach for a magazine behind the grip rather than in front like other reload animations.

Here are some links to videos of some of the revised hold types.

Hand to Hand
One Hand Melee
Two Hand Melee
One Hand Pistol
Two Hand Automatic
Two Hand Rifle
Two Hand heavy
Two Hand Launcher

Since the animations are what caused the Raiders to crash the server when spawned, these new animations will apply too and fix them. The only problem is due to the differences between the way I set up animations for NPCs as opposed to players, it will take some time to get the Raiders up to speed, so I'll be working on that during the weekend.

I have also ported some new animations for the Fallout specific first person weapons. This not only means that many of the animations look better, I will also be able to add weapons that soley rely on these animations, but were lacking proper animations before. The first example of this is the hunting rifle, which you can see in the first persion animation video:

First Person Animations

While many of the animations for general movement and combat have been overhauled, I have also ported a number of new animations to be used for roleplay and general social interaction. I have also created a new system that will allow players to play a "temporary idle". This Temporary idle will replace your standing idle until you move or, unless the animation loops, until it's over.

Waving Hello
Note: I've since renamed the command to just "/wave".

Get your tap dancing shoes on

Congratulations!

Since recording this, I've tidied up the system a bit and if you enter a command, it won't display in chat as you saying it. Still, I might consider it forcing a /me when you start actions, so when you dance, it would say: Jamz start jammin (rough example).

A list of the current temporary idles:

And yes, I see that /tapdance is mislabeled as waving and pointing is misspelled, don't worry that's already fixed and I'll update the picture once I get home.

I've noticed a lot of people asking for exercise animations like push ups and situps. I've already ported these, and once I have a system set up for exiting idles with other animations (like standing up from push ups) they will be implemented, which is what I'll be working on when I get home since I already have a good idea on how to do it.

I also took the liberty of adding a new sitting animations for certain female models which wear skirts, because most of the time, a girl wearing a skirt doesn't spread their legs open when sitting.
Female Skirt Sitting

As you can see, the transition from entering the sitting animation and sitting while idling is much smoother as well.

Last edited by Bizzclaw on Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 pm; edited 15 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/

PostSubject: Re: [WIP] Player Animation Overhaul   Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Im still waiting for
/bootyShaking
Good Shit bro +420
Back to top Go down
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: [WIP] Player Animation Overhaul   Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:07 am

This update, as well as a lot more dancing animations from the mod "Umpa Dance Animations" have now been added.
Some dance animations

Last edited by Bizzclaw on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nixinized

PostSubject: Re: [WIP] Player Animation Overhaul   Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Heres the full list of animation commands as of right now.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

jimmypau wrote:
I'm so fucking pissed right now, I want to like destroy the whole gmod, I'm SO FUCKING PISSED. FUCK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: [WIP] Player Animation Overhaul   Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Yeah.. There's a lot.
I'll be making a menu with different categories and icons representing the animations soon. That was my original plan, but I find menus annoying so I'm going to get to it after I take a bit of a break because I've been working on this update for the last two weeks and it still has problems.
Back to top Go down
Bill Andrews

PostSubject: Re: [WIP] Player Animation Overhaul   Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:12 pm

There needs to be an animation for when your gun has safety on.
(Aiming at the ground)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StormySunrise

PostSubject: Re: [WIP] Player Animation Overhaul   Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:22 am

Quote :
The animations we've been suing were originally …
> The animations we've been using were originally …
FTFY

117'th Legion Remnant

99% Caustic Chloride Mustard Gas Toxic 24/7
Back to top Go down
View user profile

[WIP] Player Animation Overhaul
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1