HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

Getting better frames: Multicore Threading v2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Getting better frames: Multicore Threading v2   Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:47 am

So a long time ago I posted about multicore threading and how it could increase performance, however at the time the implementation was experimental and caused rampant issues regarding crashing on clients, so despite it improving framerates, it caused a lot of issues.

Now with the last Gmod update, the method of enabling multicore threading and the stability of the implementation has changed, so I'm making a new topic.

What Is Multi-Core threading?
Multicore Threading allows Garrysmod to utilize more than just one core, drastically increasing performance. The framerate difference is quite remarkable, so it's certainly worth trying out.

What's the catch?
It's not clear if there are any more issues with the implementation, but bear in mind that there's probably a reason it's not enabled by default, so use it at your own risk. If you are noticing frequent crashing with this enabled, then let me know here.

How do I enable Multicore Threading?

you must navigate to your Garrysmod directory (by default it can be found by navigating too this directory in windows explorer:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod
then, go in to the "CFG" folder and open the "autoexec.cfg" with notepad.

add the following lines:

gmod_mcore_test 1
mat_queue_mode -1
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1

save the file.

Now go in to Garrysmod and make sure it's also enabled in the graphics settings by going to the main menu in gmod, clicking on "Options", selecting the "video" tab and clicking on advanced. Then enable Multicore threading.

Now you're Good to go! Post below if you've noticed an increase in performance or if your having any issues after enabling this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Gaungy

PostSubject: Re: Getting better frames: Multicore Threading v2   Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks Bizz I will try this out Smile

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Getting better frames: Multicore Threading v2   Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Been using it ever since Garry updated the game very recently. It gives me around 60 fps when I'm in towns which is pretty neat. I've only experienced one crash though, which is very little obviously. Smug Rock

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Getting better frames: Multicore Threading v2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1