HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

Player death revision: Repair System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
:F|F: Price
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:02 pm

I do not support this update at all. I think making this big of a sudden game mechanic impacts the playerbase and the gamemode itself more than some of us realize. This practically rewrites the entire game completely and makes some things like the economy we were trying to fix even worse. I feel for the players that focused on such things as selling items like weapons and armor because they will become irrelevant with this update. But hey we will all get to wear T60 EVERYWHERE! wait...wasnt that an issue last year where there was too much power armor and a system was added? I feel very strongly against this update. But hey lets see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spencer Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:12 pm

I feel the opposite since guns and armor will have to be repaired by engineer/scientist/ect they will still have buisness they just won't be able to focus just on selling guns and armor, and will need to be more active at their shop to repair stuff for people for a fee. If this does inspire more people to use more guns/ect then they should still get buisness just not by selling guns/ect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anchorman
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:22 pm

This is not the proper way to fix the economy. If anything, this will ruin it even more. Not having to face the consequences of losing my t60 and .50cal when I die will make it so everyone is encouraged to stockpile mass amounts of big fancy armor and rare weapons because they can just use it freely and carelessly. Large stockpiles of rare items and armors are what makes the current economy shitty. This would not help. Repairing an item or multiple items for certain people that have so many items stockpiled to use to repair will be nothing but a small obstacle.

This is a great way to discourage players from pvping. PVP is one of the ways items circulate throughout players inventories and lockers. There is barely any pvp now, if this update comes into play there will be little to no pvp at all. If items like guns and armor do not drop on death and only ammo and resources drop, then certain players will realize it is pointless to pvp because they already have so much ammo and resources and they don't want or need anymore. To a apocalyptic wasteland type gamemode it would make no sense to have so little pvp.

People get angry when they die and lose things they've worked so hard for.
This is just part of playing games. You could go play shattered skies, Ark: Survival Evolved, DayZ or rust and still have to deal with the same thing. Just be smarter with what you fight when you have power armor and m60s out. BE SMARTER IN GENERAL! Don't roam around in power armor if you're going to be dumb and fall for stupid baits etc, or don't wear it if you don't have a lot of it. People get mad in every game when they die and lose items. I guarantee that if this system comes into the game that people will still get just as mad as they did when they died before it was in.

Overall, people are going to get mad from dying no matter what! Sure you can do certain things to try and make them less angry, but in the long run certain people will always get mad with these types of games and or gamemodes.

As for the economy, in my opinion, a reset would be the best way to fix it. This system would not make a difference. So many regulars have so many items stockpiled that they could use to repair armor and weapons. What do you expect for people that have played for over 10 months? People are pissed off because the economy is broken, but the best way to fix the economy pisses them off even more? ( a reset) Well then you just can't please anyone can you?

Why not reset the server and edit this system? Maybe make it so items drop like they do now in cases, but are all broken and need repair instead of just ammo and resources dropping. If you reset and put this system in it will start off on a new economy and you will really see how it impacts the economy and you'll see if its good or bad.

I'm sorry if this angers anyone, but this is what I believe. I'm pretty sure most of my friends on the server think the same way too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonicb0om113

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:33 pm

I was asked to justify my opinions. Let me elaborate on why I feel this is not suitable for a survival type gamemode.

This game mode as always been a brutal wasteland, as it should be. The consequence of death was that you lost EVERYTHING you had equipped. This put that fear of death into every player that had to make a decision to take on a conglomerate drop, take on another faction in war, or just fight a yaoi gai for experience. This new system still seems to benefit the veteran player, as the materials required to repair the armor, veteran players have been stockpiling the stuff to just have it "just in case" they did die.

When you take away the whole player loot case mechanic, it causes people to begin to feel comfortable, death happens, and that "Hey, I can just run away from combat, take off all my gear, and then properly commit suicide, so I don't have to take any consequences Very Happy ". This mentality of death should not be thought of as a "oh darn I died, better repair my gear" It should be a nagging and serious thought that goes into every decision that is made. It should determine whether you will raid a stockpile, it should decide if challenging a baiter who stole your whatever.

Yes baiters are cancer, and have been a horrible new way players have been using the rules to seemingly kill at will. I do not like baiting, but that just adds to the fear of death when encountering. This server has a very high difficulty curve, and new player WILL die. They don't know any better, but you learn faster when you realize that all that gear you attempt to create and had equipped, it vanishes from your character because you died, and you have to start the entire grind again.

The main reason why I feel so strongly against this, was the entire reason I joined this server, was because of the harsh difficulty. I honestly felt as if I were in a brutal wasteland, every second I saw my hunger or thirst depleting, every second my vision grew red and hazy as my health goes down, as my radiation prevents me from eating raw foods or even killing me. These things no longer matter if death is just " Oh, I can just repair it" . I can't say I have a fear of death any longer in this server. I'll just prance around in my T-51 or enclave assualt, cause I know I won't lose it. And Why not ? There isn't any risk to losing it.

Oh and before I Forget

Bizzclaw wrote:

Irrelevant, this is a game.

A game , that is true. We should all realize that it isn't the end of the world if you die, or lose anything in a video game. But taking out the whole point of killing, dying, and the grind to get gear back? I don't think this was the way to go. Sorry Bizz, but I have to disagree completely with this update.

This has been a rant by sonicboom. Feel free to judge it how you will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:03 pm

That's much better. Thank you.

Anyways, I would agree with you, but what you and many others fail to understand is that in all of my years not just developing for postnuke, but playing it since 2009, I know that the truth is that people already don't lose their items. Yes, the possibility is there and yes that can make it seem scary, so I get what you're saying there, but that's just a preconceived notion you have because of the old system, it's not actually fact. The reality is that in the vast majority of situations where I see people die and even where I've died myself, the player ends up getting their items back one way or another for free.

Yes, it's not 100% of the time, in fact, a lot of the time when new players die they don't get it back because veteran players pick it up because there's no one to hold the newer player's case and yes I have legitimately lost items before, but I've just seen that much more often, the threat of item loss is just an illusion for most players, and I'm sure the amount of materials that will go in to repairing items will end up costing more for people in the long run then just dying and getting it back most of the time, but having to re-craft it sometimes.

Now I could just make items break and drop in suitcases to still achieve the same item-sink effect I want, but the problem with that is that it wouldn't make a difference because the problem persists that more newer players don't get their items back as often as older players, so that would end up heavily penalizing newer players inproportionately because even if they somehow managed to get their case back, they still would still have to repair it.

Giving everyone the option to keep their broken items for repair evens the playing field, giving newer players a chance to keep their items when they would normally lose them, and forcing older players who never lose their items because someone holds it for them to pay more for death, which is going to happen a lot because I see a lot of people adopting the mentality that losing items is going to somehow become meaningless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:31 pm

He already put a considerable amount of work into the system. You people are just typing up paragraphs for no reason. It's going to be implemented regardless of popular opinion.

Also, nice avatar, sonic.

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anchorman
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Well looks like all my hopes and dreams are crushed. I'm going to go cry while watching the sunset and eating dans at the same time.

Bill Andrews

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Wasn't there supposed to be a wipe like a few months ago?
What happened to that shit?
Since I see some people mentioning economy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:39 pm

It's not like It's going to be unchanged, I wish more people would, instead of asking for it to be removed, would instead suggest alternate ways to improve it, because the system is important for what it's trying to do.

Coront is suggesting I keep the repair system for armors, but still drop weapons and I'm inclined to try that.
Back to top Go down
Nixinized

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:48 pm

Bizzclaw wrote:
Coront is suggesting I keep the repair system for armors, but still drop weapons and I'm inclined to try that.

I think this would work pretty good, but I have a suggestion that might work pretty well. Each individual set of armor will have a certain amount of times that it can be 'damaged' before just dropping in the case. Cheaper armors should have more of these, what we'll call, charges, like 5 or so. More expensive ones would have lower amounts, maybe just two or so. This helps newer players and adds more of a risk to wearing expensive gear.

jimmypau wrote:
I'm so fucking pissed right now, I want to like destroy the whole gmod, I'm SO FUCKING PISSED. FUCK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nixinized

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Also, I apologize for the doublepost but I just thought of something after posting. What would the repair costs be for something like Ranger, considering it doesn't have a base craft value?

jimmypau wrote:
I'm so fucking pissed right now, I want to like destroy the whole gmod, I'm SO FUCKING PISSED. FUCK!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ManlyTears
Super Admin
Super Admin

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:54 pm

Those non-craftable armor I think they have special prices but I don't know if it's market price and the percent or just a random price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:14 pm

Nixinized wrote:
Also, I apologize for the doublepost but I just thought of something after posting. What would the repair costs be for something like Ranger, considering it doesn't have a base craft value?

They do. It still has a crafting price despite being non-craftable. Figuring that without being a staff member can be tricky though, because the only way to see it is through the admin crafting menu.

However, one way is to break down the item as a wastelander with max salvaging, whatever you get is 85% of the crafting price.

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anchorman
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 pm

Why not just make it so armor and weapons drop in the cases broken?

Bill Andrews

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:23 pm

I'll give my opinion I guess.
I just kind of wrote a long ass paragraph as I'm bored at 6am

Now I don't know if this is on the PVP server or not. If it is I could test it out but for now I can only hear other people's opinions as I am banned. So just to get this off the bat - I don't like it. Sorry, but in my opinion if you take away the looting it just stops being fallout. Sure it drops 20% of your resources but I'd say that at least 75% of the server population stores their resources in vendors. So whether or not it's 10 or 20% of resources it makes no difference. Now while I do see positives on this, like for example me being able to wear certain armors as a bandit that I normally wouldn't have. The server's fun factor really goes away, at least for me. And for those of you who are thinking:" Oh you're just a baiter who wants loot."
While that is true, it does NOT just impact baiters. It impacts literally anyone that ever goes into PVP. Raiding is useless now as most of the reward comes from the loot of your enemies. Wars are pointless as a majority of wars is picking up loot from your dead enemies.
Now I understand that it's an RP server and that PVP should happen only if necessary.
But there are weapons and factions. Basically a formula for conflict and PVP.

Now here are a few suggestions:

1. If by any chance Bizzclaw removes this system and loot dropped, I think that it would be nice if the armors and guns you picked up were broken. Meaning that a barret would not do as much damage as a mac11 as it needs a lot more ammo to be destroyed. And a missile launcher would make it practically useless.

2. If this system is in, at least make it that when there is a war that items do drop.

3. Make more things raidable as people have  a smaller risk or losing items upon being raided

4. Make power armors harder to get as you won't have to replace them every few weeks because you lose them.

There, I wanted to not post a long ass paragraph but there you have it.
Not the end of the world but certainly should have had a vote of sorts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nixinized

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Chris Strongdale wrote:
Why not just make it so armor and weapons drop in the cases broken?

Bizzclaw wrote:
Now I could just make items break and drop in suitcases to still achieve the same item-sink effect I want, but the problem with that is that it wouldn't make a difference because the problem persists that more newer players don't get their items back as often as older players, so that would end up heavily penalizing newer players inproportionately because even if they somehow managed to get their case back, they still would still have to repair it.

jimmypau wrote:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raksho

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:27 am

Bill Andrews wrote:

2. If this system is in, at least make it that when there is a war that items do drop.

3. Make more things raidable as people have  a smaller risk or losing items upon being raided

4. Make power armors harder to get as you won't have to replace them every few weeks because you lose them.

There, I wanted to not post a long ass paragraph but there you have it.
Not the end of the world but certainly should have had a vote of sorts.

These are all great ideas, and in fact some that I could get behind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Exavolt
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:41 am

I like this update a lot actually. I wonder if we could do the same thing with cars and heli's every time they break...

Come to think of it, Generators and solar panels too! Not Reactors though, those go boom.

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:28 am

I like that idea for solar panels ^
on cars would be even more evil!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GhostlyGhoul

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:38 am

i actually like this change, I've been on a break from Decay for a while, and i might end my break cause this is a system that really brings that Fallout gameplay home. In the Fallout game series, if you used your weapons/armor too much, they'd get damaged, which would lower the weapon/armor stats,I.E the damage the weapon can do/the damage the armor resists,and this repair system might do the same, maybe implement a weapon/armor stat decrease system, because the wasteland isn't chock full of weaponry/armors that have non-decreasing stat, and if there were to a be weapon/armor stat decrease system, it'd give the players the experience of actually being in the wasteland on the server as they'd have manage their armor and their weapons, so that they would have to be smart and keep the weapon/armor with the highest stats as a last resort instead of running head first with power armor, or any armor that's OP, and OP guns.
EDIT: and i was always tired of losing good armors/guns/melee weapons when i died by raiders, so this system might decrease the penalty of death, without completely removing the penalty.
EDIT2: i have been reading peoples posts, and i'm surprised not many support this soon-to-be-implemented system. it's a good system, it really helps drive home that good ol' fallout gameplay,this repair system is a fallout gameplay mechanic.
Now i know not many will be happy if the server gets more and more Fallout-esque, but it's in the name, Fallout:Decay, the server has to have at least some of the mechanics that made Fallout Fallout, there was even cut content for F:NV that would have pickpockets and beggars who aren't really beggars but thieves who bait you. And the server has baiters already, this would also bring more traffic to the server and more traffic=more people selling and buying things, including repairs.
The Fallout game series has had merchants who sell all kinds of stuff and on top of that, would repair stuff for you, if you have the cash.
And since the server's economy has been sinking, there needs to be a fix, and this repair system is one of many steps towards a fixed and functional economy

Helpful member of Fallout:Decay's Community
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StormySunrise

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:21 pm

Bizzclaw wrote:
It's not like It's going to be unchanged, I wish more people would, instead of asking for it to be removed, would instead suggest alternate ways to improve it, because the system is important for what it's trying to do.

Id actually suggest a improvement system for weapons that make them all viable depending on how much you use them, kinda like the "familiarity" system with SKS weaponry or whatever that weapon pack was called

117'th Legion Remnant

99% Caustic Chloride Mustard Gas Toxic 24/7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anchorman
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Bizzclaw had a point, I'm sorry, I did not see the comment when I wrote mine.

LejonSnax

PostSubject: Suggestion For The New Repair System.   Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Alright so I have a few suggestions that could or that should be added to the repair system. To make it even better?

1. Instead of making the player that died keep his stuff, and the items end up in his/hers inventory make it so the items pop up in a suitcase like they used to do but in a "broken state" so the one that killed that certain person has to repair the gear himself ( This is kinda logical since if you get shot the gear would most certainly be broken and needed to be repaired )

2. Instead of dropping the items on death, make it so a certain % of the wielded items end up in the suitcase in form of resources so both the person that actually killed a person profits from it, and the person that died get to keep his armor but in a broken state.

3. Perhaps, remove the whole thing about people keeping their stuff upon death but they need to repair it and change the repair system to make armor have "durabillity" such as in World of warcraft and so on, after a certain amount of hits/bullets taken to the armor it breaks, and ends up in the repair section of your inventory. ( and upon death the armor/guns ends up in the suitcase in a broken state )

4. Instead of a repair section make a "All Class" Repair station which is needed. ( Or make a Repair station for every class )

5. If a durabillity system is being implemented, make it so the durabillity goes down depending on where you got shot, and also make it so you can repair it at any time. Example my panzer armor is at 50% durabillity, that should cost 50/50/50 to repair, but if it was to be on 75% it should cost 25/25/25 and so on and so forth

If anything was unclear, or you wish to add something to my points just do so in the comment section.

The moment when I edited my own article, but ended up editing one of my posts in another whole section.

-Joseph Lewis

Last edited by LejonSnax on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:11 pm

A few people are saying I should add a durability system, but keep in mind that it's not really possible in Postnuke.

In Postnuke, the items are more like "tickets", if you have 2 pieces of armor in your inventory, you basically have two "tickets" to either equip/drop/salvage that particular item, and whenever you pick an item up, it increases the ticket count.

Basically items are not unique, and adding unique variables to them such as condition would require the inventory system to be remade from scratch, and that's why I'm working on a new gamemode.

Also, either people aren't reading the posts or their straight up ignoring my points.
Bizzclaw wrote:
Now I could just make items break and drop in suitcases to still achieve the same item-sink effect I want, but the problem with that is that it wouldn't make a difference because the problem persists that more newer players don't get their items back as often as older players, so that would end up heavily penalizing newer players in-proportionately because even if they somehow managed to get their case back, they still would still have to repair it.
If you guys don't agree with this point, instead o straight up ignoring it and suggesting the same thing again, tell me why you disagree with it.
Back to top Go down
LejonSnax

PostSubject: Re: Player death revision: Repair System   Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Bizzclaw wrote:
A few people are saying I should add a durability system, but keep in mind that it's not really possible in Postnuke.

In Postnuke, the items are more like "tickets", if you have 2 pieces of armor in your inventory, you basically have two "tickets" to either equip/drop/salvage that particular item, and whenever you pick an item up, it increases the ticket count.

Basically items are not unique, and adding unique variables to them such as condition would require the inventory system to be remade from scratch, and that's why I'm working on a new gamemode.

Alright, I did not know that anyways items should be dropped in a suitcase on death but in a broken state with a slight % of it not being broken or some of it no being broken. Because right now there is no reason to kill anyone at all because people rarely carry lots of resources around, and they get to keep their gear but in a broken state. Even tho it's quite a good add to the gamemode itself.

And also, this kinda made the gun market sink by a lot since now people basically only need 1 of each gun since they can just repair the guns upon death and same goes for the armor.

While the newer players can't even repair their armor. Or if they are trying to get their armor repaired it's a higher chance of them getting it jacked by the so called "repairer" while the rich players won't bat an eye repairing their armor for a small fee by their friends not risking their armor to be jacked.

Anyways this is all i got on my mind for now.

Player death revision: Repair System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next