Share | 

Teamspeak3 vs. Discord

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:59 pm

So, I've been using Teamspeak3 to talk to my friends since before I started Frostburnt, it's been an integral part of the way I interact with people online and I dare say I've lived in teamspeak for the last 5-6 years, nevertheless, times change and with the advent of a new group oriented chat platform, questions are raised about whether it's time to move on.

If you're not familiar with our Teamspeak server, none of this really matters to you, but for those of you who are, you'll know we've put a lot of work in to getting our teamspeak's permissions working as best as we can with a complex channel key system and carefully organized permissions, still teamspeak has many limitations and is by nature very limited. while it is very old and still widely supported, it has some major downfalls including, but not limited too:

• Dated interface.
  • Requires an installation.
  • Lack of frequent updates and new features.
  • Runs off an owned server, which requires a damn license with monthly cost, not to mention the cost of the server itself.
  • Despite having support for lua plugins, most of the lua integration is broken and many old plugins don't even work, so the plugin support is meaningless, mostly being used for abusive poke spams anyways.
  • You have to pay for the mobile app.

Teamspeak does have really nice audio codecs, and it's permission system is nice,but really complex and annoying to set up.
Still, I can't ignore these flaws, and after using Discord for the past week, I can say that not only does it overcome many of the issues teamspeak has, it's also very innovative in it's own way. It's not exactly the same thing as teamspeak, but it can easily be used to replace it because some of it's key features, such as:

• much better looking interface.
  • Can be run from a web browser, but also from an installation.
  • Constant updates and new features
  • All servers run off of Discord's master server with no fees, so it's free.
  • Unlimited amount of users in a server, we have been filing up the teamspeak lately, so this is a pretty big deal.
  • Accounts are globally created on the discord servers, not your local machine, meaning your account will have the same permissions on any device.
  • Text to speech: So we can't ignore coront anymore
  • free mobile app
  • Very nice API so integration with other programs is good enough to let us do some pretty nice things.

Undoubtedly, moving the community over to discord would take some getting used too, but not really that much really. All in all, I believe it would be a lot nicer in the long run because of how accessible and streamlined it is. The only problem is that right now it's audio quality isn't as good as Teamspeak's Opus Music, so audio bots don't really work properly. Still, Discord more than makes up for that with it's plethora of features and it's not unthinkable that something like that won't be possible sometime soon, but in an even simpler form than it was in Teamspeak.

I urge you to research discord a bit more if you'd like to weigh in on this. I'll admit, I like it a lot, so I'm a bit biased towards it and I'm eager to move on to something new because of how long I've been using teamspeak, but either way I encourage anyone to weigh in on this because it's a pretty big decision to make. Please share the reason for your vote below.

Discord Website: https://discordapp.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Coront
Supreme Forum Overlord
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:54 pm

idk man we should test it out first large-scale before making a switch.

I've been using discord for the past half a year with a small community and I'm well versed in how the roles system works, channels, how to set up proper moderation with bots, etc. So I'd be happy to get that stuff set up and explain how it works. Although, teamspeak does arguably have a better ranking system, there's ways to get around that with discord (Like I said earlier- with bots.)

I'll start up a sort of demo discord while waiting for you to get on. Talk to me on TS when you do and I'll show you around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizzclaw
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:01 pm

According to Aesop, Discord is getting an update to it's role system that will make it up to par with Teamspeak's.
Back to top Go down
Exavolt
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Does the community currently have a discord server set up?

Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:00 pm

I see a lot of people voting for Teamspeak, but no one is posting as to why. Keep in mind that the poll won't determine as much as your opinions on the matter will, if you're strongly against switching to discord, post as to why.
Back to top Go down
ManlyTears
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:21 pm

I always thinked about an update or something that improves it and I always thought about Curse/Discord, also, I always want to talk to the people on teamspeak with my phone and I can't because it costs money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:32 pm

the reason why discord is:

-has many option
-inerface
-free to download an play
-good graphic
-muluplayer

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Larhee

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:41 pm

Keep team speak!! (only because i have team speak open talking to you people and then discord open talking to irl friends)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:41 pm

EH wrote:
the reason w

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opsan
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: Teamspeak3 vs. Discord   Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Alright, I've sorted this out.

As you can see, Discord is second to none.

xxrokboddemgaemz:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Teamspeak3 vs. Discord
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1