HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tanuki

PostSubject: A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like   Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:32 pm

I've logically tried to justify the use of chemicals & whatnot  on everything, and the use for chemicals on things like guns or knives, i've found, are justifiable by the need to weld and shape the necessary scrap and small parts with some sort of highly flammable chemical, but could the same chemical logically be used in something like an armor module, or health pack.

So this has come across my mind, what if we kept the generic chemical as a bit of a placeholder, and have a machine, a distiller costing scrap and small parts, for scientists to distill certain functional chemicals (which would hereafter be weightless (or .05 to prevent resource hoarding)), and these newly distilled nongeneric chemicals were the components necessary to create some things.

I could see this functioning in two different tiers of realistic, these applying Antibiotics (health kits)  Dormant Catalysts (Armor Modules) & Fine Thermal Resin (for  materials like the hud interface, electronic board & things like Turrets)  With this option, The generic chemical  still has use for the other classes, and the price of chems wouldn't be entirely reduced  for scientist's creations. with this option only a scientist should be able to use the machine.

The other option completely nullifies the use of generic chemicals in crafting, but makes everything require  a mixture of the specified chemicals and i wouldn't recommend this option until we have the 'Five Minute Inventory Grace Period' system implemented.  Volatile Chemicals for things regarding explosives (grenades and bullets), Flammable Chemicals for things that require welding (most things with worked metal), and perhaps even simple kerosene to power generators and stoves and whatnot.
With this option everyone should be able to use it, but only a scientist would be able to create the distiller items

How i think this would work, each chemist's table would only be accessable by the person who owns it freely, Using one that does not belong to you would require you to break into it, similar to storage.  The person using it can store a maximum of 50 chemicals in it at a time, this is like this for two reasons, A) It keeps someone from being super pissed  if they so happen to crash, because like gas generators, i imagine these would lose their instantiated variables whenever they're picked up or more realistically when the person using them crashes,  and B) It requires the person manning the distiller to need to give it attention every now and then to keep it from being too much of a turn-key business for those who would dedicate shops for such a thing.

There would be an even percent chance for all types of chemicals mentioned above (Kerosene, flammable, volatile, antibiotic, dormant catalyst, resin (and i'm also up for suggestions or criticism)) or,  the percentages could be manipulated for a founder to nudge the economy in a certain way.

It would take a certain amount of seconds, i'm thinking 2  or 3, for one chemical unit to be distilled and placed into another variable, where it is stored until the owner of the table empties it into their inventory.

I will take this on as my own LUA scripting project so that i can grow accustom to the functional differences between this & Java for now but i may scrap it depending on the amount of hostility or distaste for the idea is shown.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StormySunrise

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like   Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 pm

#flamethrowers confirmed 2019

117'th Legion Remnant

99% Caustic Chloride Mustard Gas Toxic 24/7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like   Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:39 pm

My dreams have come true

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Later dow the line, I actually have a justification for chemicals in the story we're planning for Postnuke, and it will probably be renamed later in the gamemode. The thing about chems is that they'll probably be replaced with some super substance form space (seriously) that makes every thing better. It's hard to explain... More on that later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like   Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:19 pm

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Yay, now we can have a story for PostNuke Very Happy
But if chemicals will be replaced with something from space, what about the grubs?

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tanuki

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like   Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:22 am

aaaaand demotivated, lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like   Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Tactical Bacon wrote:
what about the grubs?
The grubs ARE from space, technically a pocket dimension, but they're still aliens.
Back to top Go down

A suggestion for Scientists and Chemicals that you might not like
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1