HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent

Share | 

[Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 pm

The Future of Decay
So, I've been thinking a lot about this lately, although I tend not to pay much mind to Decay anymore because I'm always working on Resurgence, I have noticed that Decay has gotten pretty stale and is mostly just a boring grind for a lot of people because the rules don't give enough allowance for people to be "bad".

So a few of you might remember that in 2016, I launched the "True Wasteland" or TW server (although it technically had rules, like no hacking, so that's why i prefer to call it True Wasteland over "no Rules"). Basically, it was the same gamemode we have now, but without Building, faster resource gains, you'd spawn somewhere random on the map as far away from other players as you possibly could, and attacking other players was fair game. Some of the best moments I've ever had in my 8+ years of playing Postnuke/Decay where on the True Wasteland server, once you stripped away the meta of rules and just let it be a game. so I’ve been starting to wonder, what if not only do we bring back the TW Server, but replace the RP server with it.

Of course, before we even think about that, we have to talk about some of the major factors that held back the TW server.

The Problems with the True Wasteland Server
Here's some of the biggest problems with the rule-less version of the gamemode

• Since there was always the RP server, more peaceful oriented players had no reason to stick around. This meant that while the more peaceful players might try TW, instead of trying to make it a peaceful place by banding together and fighting against raider-players, They’d simply go back to RP because they preferred the security of having rules.
  • There was no Building. Because the whole idea was to leave the server mostly un-moderated, I didn't see a way to make basing balanced. In my mind there was too much potential for abuse, and it wasn't allowed, but this really hurt the gamemode because building is a huge part of Postnuke, and Garrysmod in general
  • Faster Resource gains. When I started the TW server, I figured people would die a lot, so I wanted to make everything a little less valuable so people could get back on their feet pretty easily if they died. While this did work, it also was a little too easy since resources were so abundant, there wasn't as much of a reason for people to fight over them and people could get to "end-game" way too quickly. This would result in players quickly getting bored with the game and leaving.
  • The Bugged spawn system. Too often the spawn system would not work as it was coded, and spawn people right on top of eachother, too close to where they died, ect, ect. The spawn system needed a lot of work.

There where other problems, sure, but after a year of working on Resurgence and watching Decay wither away, I've been thinking about all of these issues, and I've come to realize addressing them might not be as hard as I originally thought

Solutions
Safeland
Okay so, first off, we wouldn't have to worry about players leaving the TW server to go back to the RP one if the TW server replaces it, people would have no choice but to play in the True Wasteland. While that might introduce its own instances of people quitting the gamemode, I'm sure it couldn't get any worse than it is right now. Heck, if anything, a big change like this would probably attract a lot of older players curious about how the gamemode will work this way. Also, this goes without saying, but because we'd be essentially getting rid of rules, we'd also be getting rid of most bans. Sure, a few bans will remain, but for the most part there's no reason to ban people from a server that allows the play-style they were banned for.

Building
So, this is probably the biggest one. I'm pretty confident that Resurgence won't need building for it to be fun, but I know for a fact that it's really something Decay needs. This was very clear when we got rid of it from TW server. Now, a year ago I would say it's impossible to make building far in a game without rules, yet, look at games like Rust where it's a core part of the game, if it can work there, why not in Gmod? I’m not saying it sohuld work the same as it does in rust, I'd have to experiment a lot with it and I have a few ideas about how to make it fair, (I'll go over those in their own post). The thing is, I'm willing to set aside work on Resurgence to get this working because if I can get it to work in Decay conceptually, I could also make it work in Resurgence, which would be a huge benefit in the long run.

Resource Gains
Okay, so this one is probably going to be extremely controversial, but hear me out. So Obviously, raising the resource gain rate caused problems of its own, and getting rid of it would be easy, but then we’re back to the issue of players grinding for way too long for something they could lose instantly.

Now, if only there was some sort of system that acted as a middle ground, if only there was a system that bridged the gap between loss and gain for players in terms of death, and PVP if only there was some way for players to die and lose a lot, but not everything they’ve worked on gaining for weeks.

Oh wait.

Armor Repair.

To be more specific, I’m referring to the original way I handled Armor repair, were dying wouldn’t drop the armor, but it would break, be sent to your repair inventory, and you’d drop the repair requirements for it. I know that this system generated a huge amount of controversy in the RP server where Killing players was a big deal, and it really only made since that if you killed a player, you’d get everything from them because pvp death was a rare and special thing in a safeland, but what if death is a lot more common? I was a huge Advocate of the system because your armor is like a symbol of your progress, and I wanted to make it something you kept with you in most cases, but would become more expensive to maintain, but it was a persistent part of your progress as a player character. This was mostly inspired by Ships in Elite Dangerous, where if you died, you had to pay a huge sum of credits to make Insurance claims on more expensive ships, but you still kept your ship in some way, because getting a more and more expensive ship was the main way to progress through the game. I wanted to make armor in Decay like that. I mean, honestly, it might not be a good idea for the TW server even, you could make the argument that you could easily kill someone and take the armor you lost back from them, and that would be its own goal to work towards in the game and I’d be getting rid of that kind of dynamic, but it’s still something I want to put on the table for you all to think about, because this is the future of Decay we’re talking about here.

Oh, and as far as spawns go, that’s easy, I’m a much better coder now, I can redo that easily.

The Choice is yours... for now
So, I’ve thought a lot about what I’m going to do with Decay once I put Resurgence out, and my Current resolution was to shut it down When Resurgence is capable of replacing it. I know this doesn't sit well for a lot of people who will miss the game, even with it’s weird, quirky, buggy state simply for the sake of nostalgia, and they’d hate to see it go. So, what’s the main reason I don’t want to keep Decay up? This one’s pretty obvious, but it’s the rules. Trying to maintain a staff team and manage a huge community of players who have different expectations for the game have lead to issues for years. One of the main reasons I’m working on Resurgence is to get away from this, but, honestly, if it was just the TW server, I don’t have any problem leaving it up along with Resurgence for people who want to take nostalgia trips, so, whether or not you all want to see the TW server replace the RP one, the RP one cannot exist for much longer, but the TW server has the potential to keep going because all it would require is people donating to pay for it’s server cost, as I’d probably move it to a different server so it wouldn't get in the way of Resurgence in terms of performance, aside from that though, there are things I could do as a final send off for Decay that would benefit Resurgence in the long run by providing a place to experiment with concepts, so While I would end up taking a short break to address all of these issues, it wouldn’t be that much compared to what I’ve done over all, and would go towards making Resurgence better anyways. So, what do you think?

By the way, I haven’t brought this up with any of the other staff yet, this is an open discussion and I want to hear what people have to say, this is why I’m not making a poll, if you have an opinion on this, say so below.

TL;DR: Replace the RP server with the old no rules server and fix all of the issues and add in building?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm going to address building in this post because the main one was getting way to long, so I have a few ideas for building, and the linchpin of the system would be a very big change for Decay: Destructible props.

• So basically, all props have a health bar based on their material and volume.

• Instead of a "prop limit" you'd have a "Prop Health Limit" so you only have a maximum allotment for total health your props can have, so you could have either a lot of small props, or only a few big props.

• Spawning a prop will ghost it completely, you could move it around with the physgun, but it wouldn't become "physical" until you "settle" it, which has to be done manually, would take a bit of time (hold e on it for a few seconds for instance), can only be done in specific parts of the map, and as long as there are no NPCs nearby or players inside the prop. When it's settled, it can no longer be moved until it is "unsettled" which would take a while depending on it's health, and involve you having to laser it with the physgun for a bit. The main idea for this is that it would discourage people from using props as doors and prop blocking themselves in a base; you wouldn't be able to leave and enter by just moving a prop out of the way with a physgun.

• There needs to be a lot of work to make sure people can't abuse building by placing props in bad places, it would be bad if players straight up just blocked access to some houses, or built in the sky, so my current idea is to just have pre-defined regions where building is allowed, this would require me to make a tool that would allow staff to create persistent zones for it.

• Players would only be able to build in one place, basically, if you spawn a prop, you can only spawn and move props a certain distance from that prop. If you had multiple props placed, the origin for your base would become the sort of "average point" or "mid point" between all of your props. This would keep a single player from doing something like trolling by blocking off every house in a town that has building allowed, and at worse they'd only be able to do it to one house, which would be easier for players to deal with on their own.

• Instead of dupes, the build system would have to have it's own built in system for saving blueprints of buildings, although, if you have a base you want to import, you could ask a staff member and they might be able to figure something out for you.

• The system would come with it's own doors that are specifically made for the build system, and access to these doors could be set up instantly and wouldn't require keypads or anything. You could manually give people access to opening/closing it and you could set it to automatically work for faction member.

So that's where I'm at right now and It's something I want to try, and if it works, it could even be used in Resurgence.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Welp, if this is what happens to the RP server, I might as well jump ship because I have a doctor's note, I can't PvP worth a singular fuck since my ping on the server is gigantic AND im terrible at fighting in general.

Also, we banned LITERALLY EVERYONE that would really enjoy this thing. like really, what's the point of banning people one day perma for them to be able to come back, IF and really IF they want to come back after being scorned this way by the community, it would be REALLY hypocritical. Really Bizz, You're just looking for a reason to close the server we have spent the last 5 years on because the population has decreased in the last couple of month.

REMINDER THAT DECAY IS A SUMMER GAME MODE, WE GET PLENTY OF PLAYERS AND DONATIONS DURING SUMMER TIME, WINTER IS ALWAYS THE DEAD TIME ON THE SERVER.

the fact that there would be no reason for anyone to band together because you can kill eachother for literally no reason, there wouldn't be any kind of progress in terms of social networking. except for Phoenix Company who will rule and slay anyone they want on a whim because they literally are the life of the server, it will finally become Phoenix Company lawless RP

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ManlyTears
Super Admin
Super Admin

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Jeff Belinger wrote:
Welp, if this is what happens to the RP server, I might as well jump ship because I have a doctor's note, I can't PvP worth a singular fuck since my ping on the server is gigantic AND im terrible at fighting in general.

Also, we banned LITERALLY EVERYONE that would really enjoy this thing. like really, what's the point of banning people one day perma for them to be able to come back, IF and really IF they want to come back after being scorned this way by the community, it would be REALLY hypocritical. Really Bizz, You're just looking for a reason to close the server we have spent the last 5 years on because the population has decreased in the last couple of month.

REMINDER THAT DECAY IS A SUMMER GAME MODE, WE GET PLENTY OF PLAYERS AND DONATIONS DURING SUMMER TIME, WINTER IS ALWAYS THE DEAD TIME ON THE SERVER.

the fact that there would be no reason for anyone to band together because you can kill eachother for literally no reason, there wouldn't be any kind of progress in terms of social networking. except for Phoenix Company who will rule and slay anyone they want on a whim because they literally are the life of the server, it will finally become Phoenix Company lawless RP

Pussy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Exavolt
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Jeff Belinger wrote:

Sassy little fucks like you are the reason he separated himself from Decay development for as long as he has.

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm

This is probably the best course for the server as it is right now, it's clearly not been going anywhere positive for the past few months. From the outside looking in, it seems like the new management doesn't know what they're doing. While the player count did get an adrenaline shot for a little while, it was never going to last with how things were run. At the rate it's going now, it might actually die before the estimated time of six months I gave it when I was giving my farewells to Bizz. The server rank has been plummeting recently, just look at this graaaaaaph

It's even lower now if you check gametracker, that picture was taken sometime in December.

Jeff Belinger wrote:

Not true whatsoever, we always had peak players during summer and Christmas, but it seems like that didn't happen this Christmas (Did you guys even do a christmas event this year?) and people are deluding themselves into thinking we never got players over the winter. See: the staff manager's take on dropping playercount

A year ago we'd have the server full for days in a row over Christmas break, not spending their time somewhere else. Most of my memories of Christmas here as a staff member are hella stressful because there would be a shit ton more sits.

Jeff Belinger wrote:

You're not wrong about that one.

Anyway, this is just my two cents on the matter. Do whatever you feel.

PS: Why was I banned for posting rock emotes??? The dude I replied to last even got his message removed afterwards for being irrelevant to the appeal, which was the whole reason why I replied to him that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 pm

I call it "The Final Solution"

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Exavolt
Donator
Donator

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:15 pm

300th post special

Last edited by Exavolt on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ching Cha ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 pm

The big man's looking out for us trouble makers!

-Aggression/Walse/Grub
(Formerly Boggy/will steel/)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grub

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 pm

For the most part I'm all up and in for this idea. personally I like to PvP on this server and it would be a good way for people to "get out of their shells" and actually immerse themselves into the long forgotten PvP aspect of the server. BUT I think that there should be some "safe spaces" so atleast there will be places where players can trade, market, and so on. Overall I think that this is a juicy Idea and I would like to see it implemented. +1

#Bringbackthesupriseambushes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ching Cha ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Could we just input this new mode on the old server? Don't mean to be a bitch but do we really have to start over again?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warandally
Retiree

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 am

So, I'd like to first address this post by saying that your decision to turn the server into a no-rules/lawless server is a very unwise decision, based on the previous popularity a few years ago when the server was at near-max population on the "roleplay" server. Jeff, your comment "Decay is a Summer game mode", is, unfortunately, an excuse you or another staff member must've come up with in order to cope with the falling player count whether it be staff issues, lack of new content, or general player disinterest. I hope this isn't an excuse given to your player base, as in the past the staff team and player base were able to keep up a consistent player count coming off my memory of around 20-25 players during the week, and 25-40 players during the weekend, pending news of events.

Bizzclaw, I understand the reason that you are doing this is likely because of the fact that you're looking for ways to increase player count but this isn't it. I would recommend encouraging your staff, maybe even requiring them to do more events, as in the past this was successful. Additionally, I would look into adding a rule limiting the number of staff members that a faction can have, as I'll admit this was an issue in the past with the BoS and Phoenix Company and is now with Phoenix Company essentially containing the majority of the staff population. A limit of 3-5 should be at the highest, and staff can be given the option to either resign or leave the faction. This is a volunteer job after all.

Additionally, for the server to return to its' former success as well as potentially even reach higher in its' success, I would suggest not banning all of the veteran players that stayed despite the shady circumstances surrounding the old staff team, they're probably the best group of players you've got despite their need to "start drama" and have "no intent to roleplay". Decay can't be run towards an entirely specific target audience to the point where anyone else interested in the game is alienated or removed. No game can, and no game ever will.

Finally, I would like to state that I had no goal of malfeasance when writing this post, and am simply writing this to make you aware of what was good and bad in the past. I know communication between the higher staff to the rest of the player base has always been difficult and strained at best. I urge you to really gain the opinions of your moderators and trusted players as well before acting on any decisions brought on to you by an echo chamber of upper staff, who typically tend to agree with each other and not ask the opinions of players and lower staff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TimeSnake

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:51 am

For the second time, I am genuinely excited about this community again, the last time was when I heard about Resurgence and then when it was released to the public for a short time to play while it was in pre-alpha(dunno what state it's in now).
Warandally wrote:
I would recommend encouraging your staff, maybe even requiring them to do more events, as in the past this was successful.
I'm sorry Waran, but in my opinion the events made people too rich too fast, which lead to them inevitably getting bored and taking breaks until an event or the next update. I mean if you have the best stuff possible, not including event items since you can't even get BPs from Conglo drops anymore, why play regularly? I'm not a known player by any means of the word, but why not let the server have this change since there has never been a change as massive as this(since I started playing at least), and doing the same thing every year until the eventual end doesn't sound any more fun. If all else fails, Bizzclaw can just backup the current server and all of its player data before the change. Players who quit don't usually quit for long, this can be seen from how many ban appeals are posted despite the banned player having no chance of being unbanned; this gamemode and it's community are truly unique and a temporary change in the gamemode won't drive them away forever. Just because Resurgence isn't out yet(and it probably won't be out in a long time) doesn't mean we can't have change in the current gamemode. Just stating my thoughts on the matter though, don't take it too seriously guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LejonSnax

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:53 am

Turn the server no rule already so I can start bashing cucks thanks.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike Nespo
Staff Manager
Staff Manager

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:44 am

The server in its current state isn't in its best condition and there are many different reasons for this. The server has been fluctuating player count in the last month quite a bit. On good days we will get 30+ people on bad days we will get 10-15 players. The reason for most of this is primarily because the server is lacking a lot of action and it's going stale. We can fix this problem very easily by doing big events more and reviving our lore stories but the problem with events is that it kills the economy very easily which leads to wipes and no one likes that.

You everyday PVPers like the idea of PVP every day and all day but there is a huge majority who does not want this. If we switched to all-out PVP we would definitely not gain players... We will lose them more than we gain. Plus, switching to PVP will eliminate the need for establishing a lore and doing events and even fighting conglo because there will be no point in wasting ammo on NPCs to get small amounts of gear when you can just PVP! The average player today quits after they get a t45 stolen or when they get killed and lose an Anti Mat. There will be more people quitting over the loss of items than us gaining any people.

This server is a pretty unique server on Garry's Mod and it is definitely a favorite for many including myself. However despite the fact that this is server so unique it has a big problem for many people, and that problem lies in the server and the players. The problem is: Playstyles. This problem has been something that has been a non stop annoyance for many. It's a simple issue, PVPers want more PVP and more bloodshed while Rpers are nearly extinct because of the PVPers and then you have the average player who casually wants to get on and PVP PVE and RP. I am one of the average players who has a daily intake of all of the 3. Now here is where the issue becomes bigger, We want all types of players on the server BUT we CANNOT balance the scale for everyone because it is nearly impossible hence the reason why we have 15 pages of rules. We used to have only 6-8 pages back in 2014-2015 but now since there has been a big influx of new players just PVPing we have to make rules to make it fair for the other players NOT to get hunted.

I understand that the majority of the staff are in Phoenix Company but if NO ONE applies how can we get staff. The only people who stepped up to the plate when the old staff left was the members of Phoenix Company and their care for the server. I am not going to tell the people in Phoenix Company that their work was for nothing because players think " Well it’s a bit unfair that they are majority staff". I don’t see you guys applying so don’t complain about who is staff because it really bothers me… Most of our staff do a pretty decent job. Secondly, please stop using Phoenix Company as a scape goat for literally EVERYTHING. All I read was "Its gonna be Phoenix Co RP just like THEY want" No. Just stop. Literally just stop. My faction does not bother a single soul unless you bother me and sure we can be dicks at time IN GAME that does not mean you should shit on me and my guys because of it.

My personal opinion is I love this server and I even told bizzclaw that. It’s a good server and good work has been put into it and all that work was Bizz. At the end of the day if Bizz thinks this is better for the server than I say go ahead and be proud about what you've built. However, I do not agree with the idea because I feel as if it will be pointless and it will lead to us probably losing players.

By the way sorry if this sounds a bit stupid and fucky. Did this in class in 25 minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 am

I appreciate all the feedback on this, It's just something I had floating around in my mind and wanted to get people's opinion on.

One big issue someone brought up to me which kind of shoots the entire idea down for me is that even if it did work and players returned, trying to just roleplay and fight NPCs with a server full of people is bad enough on the RP server, trying to do constant PVP would be impossible with that kind of performance, and a lot of what people are telling me about this has convinced me that it wouldn't be the best thing for Decay after all.

I'm still considering putting the TW server back up along side the RP server if people want to try it again. Because the Resurgence servers aren't running yet, hosting a second server is really no extra expense. I do want to mess with the building system too, but there's no reason I couldn't implement on the current server. I think I'll make another thread for that if and when I start working on it.

The ideal solution would be to host two servers connected to the same database, sort of like what we did with the Resurgence Alpha where one is the TW server and the other is the RP server, I could populate the TW server with more dangerous NPCs like Deathclaws and super mutants and make the resource count higher. Unfortunately, this is a pipe dream because while it is technically possibly to host two servers sharing the same database, as we've seen with the event server, it actually causes a lot of back-end issues unless the gamemode was made with that functionality in mind, like Resurgence. This is why we tell people not to touch their faction menu on the event server whenever we use it.

All well, that's what Resurgence is for anyways.

Last edited by Bizz on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TimeSnake

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Bizz wrote:
I appreciate all the feedback on this, It's just something I had floating around in my mind and wanted to get people's opinion on.

One big issue someone brought up to me which kind of shoots the entire idea down for me is that even if it did work and players returned, trying to just roleplay and fight NPCs with a server full of people is bad enough on the RP server, trying to do constant PVP would be impossible with that kind of performance.

I'm still considering putting the TW server back up along side the RP server if people want to try it again. Because the Resurgence servers aren't running yet, hosting a second server is really no extra expense. I do want to mess with the building system too, but there's no reason I couldn't implement on the current server. I think I'll make another thread for that if and when I start working on it.

The ideal solution would be to host two servers connected to the same database, sort of like what we did with the Resurgence Alpha where one is the TW server and the other is the RP server, I could populate the TW server with more dangerous NPCs like Deathclaws and super mutants and make the resource count higher. Unfortunately, this is a pipe dream because while it is technically possibly to host two servers sharing the same database, as we've seen with the event server, it actually causes a lot of back-end issues unless the gamemode was made with that functionality in mind, like Resurgence. This is why we tell people not to touch their faction menu on the event server whenever we use it.

All well, that's what Resurgence is for anyways.
A seperate RP and TW server would be cool too, but it might lead to what happened during the Resurgence Alpha(I thought it was a pre-alpha when it was released for us to play for a short time my bad) and would result in a lot of players just playing on the RP server for the easy and safe loot and not nearly as many players playing on the TW server except for the PvPers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sweaty God

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:16 pm

What a waste of time. I'm indifferent towards Decay, at a time I played it and enjoyed it, but that time has passed. As a disclaimer I am a biased towards Decay because I am helping Bizz with Resurgence and that project more of an interest for me. Anyways, my issue is this- your logic makes no sense.

We've had many discussions in the past about the state of Decay(No pun intended) once Resurgence is here. Which is why I thought I had a pretty good idea of your reasoning as to why you want to shut Decay down. I guess I misunderstood. What I don't get is that- you told me that you want to shut Decay down for many reasons but mainly because it'd be in direct competition with Resurgence, which I then argued was false since Decay was RP oriented. Point being, I get why people want Decay to stay up, and at one point I even lobbied to have it stay up so people could continue to enjoy it once Resurgence was up. But your suggested changes would essentially make Decay a low-rent Resurgence. Which ironically, is exactly the property you disliked about it.

Making the server more like Resurgence and less like Decay makes it more competitive with Resurgence. Doing this makes no sense for a few reasons:
#1. The Decay demographic has proven to be change averse, the mass emigration of old community members and staff serving as the most recent example of that.
#2. It would quite literally be a direct competitor to Resurgence, which makes no sense from a business prospective. Although Resurgence isn't a business, we still need to manage finances with the server's longevity in mind. As such we should consider financial actions as if it was in-fact a business, because it operates in much the same way. Having a second server being a direct competitor would be a deduction from Resurgence's available funds. Although I doubt the impact would be life threatening to the server, less funds for Resurgence means un-necessary resource drain from what I still assume to be your main project, Resurgence. Even if the distribution of donations were stacked heavily towards Resurgence's side, having to pay for and manage another server is without a doubt a drain of resources. And again, in my opinion, a fruitless drain.
#3. You would be spitting in the faces of all of those who have asked you to keep it up as it is so they could enjoy it as it was.(This reason being the weakest since ultimately it is your IP and it up to you what is done with it)

Now, although I have provided some reasons as to why it is bad to keep Decay up from the perspective of a Resurgence team member, from the perspective of a Decay player, there is definitely still reasons to keep the server alive. My advice: Make Decay open source. Either that or shut it down for the aforementioned reasons. I am well aware of the problems, both technical and personal that accompany this endeavor so I don't expect you to give this suggestion any serious thought. However, I believe making Decay open source upon Resurgence's arrival would likely be a good gesture towards the old community.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt.Telion

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm not sucking anyone's toes here, yet I'm happy with any new game mode or server you release. I'm hoping your future servers have more of a incentive donation system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Since it's going WAY over everyone's heads, I'd like to point out that this isn't a set in stone change, update, or whatever any of you see it as.
It was a proposal, an idea, something to spur thought. Yet, all I see is everyone 'putting in their two-cents' and inflating the situation. It isn't here to be a "We're doing this, fuck you." scene, Bizz even says that the idea is shot down by the awful framerates toted by the game.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
J.Beets

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:15 pm

If this were to happen, would I be unbanned? I also seem to remember me, Kayla, and manly tears, and noodles being there for the server, A server we all really enjoy. I’d love to see this attempted cause, you know me! Jk. But really I would be willing to put the past behind and just call it good. Sorry if I ever started a shit ton of drama but I mean. I retired quietly along with a lot of my friends and recently when hanging out on the server I was banned cause I said I wouldn’t come back. Banned for drama people said I would start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cpt.Telion

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 am

I love everyone's input, hopefully we will see the chosen change soon! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike Nespo
Staff Manager
Staff Manager

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:46 am

Not to sound rude but most of you either don't read whats above or can't read at all because it was already said that the idea was shot down. However, there may be a new server open. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomp
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.   

Back to top Go down

[Locked] The future of Decay: Safeland, Wasteland.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Fallout Decay :: Fallout Decay General Discussion-
Jump to: