HomeFrostburntCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsLog inRegisterMemberlistContent
Share | 

How does one make their FPS not stupid

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:21 pm

So, I just realized that this computer is like the worst toaster there is. (at least for Gmod)

Stats
GeForce GTX 560M
Intel Core i7
3 GBs of GDDR5 VRAM or whatever this shit is
Also a giant heat vent

Buy page:

I propped my computer up so it could vent heat even more effectively too.

So basically, I made the 'l33t' war with Chess, Valid, and Canadian Turtles, I shot at like everyone with my AK, Valid hit me a couple of times with his incendiary SAW and my FPS was like 30 then ded, turned into 7. So basically I sprayed like crazy in a frantic attempt to hit him once then I ded. And EVEN when I'm not on fire, my FPS will be like 40 then everyone five seconds it turns to 6-7 and stays there for like three seconds, then goes up to 40 FPS. This makes attempting to land accurate shots harder than 360ing a AWP in CS: GO at someone a mile away.

I replicated the same thing with Canadian Turtles, so I promptly turned all my settings down to the very lowest. So I restarted Garry's Mod and went on singleplayer I got a noticeable FPS increase (turned from 60 to 120). When I got into multiplayer... It didn't go up at all, it went down to 30. Do note that I even decreased my resolution, but it had no noticeable effect on FPS. And the 'period' (as I'm going to call my random FPS decrease) went from 7 to 10 FPS, but that still sucks and doesn't help me what so ever with the cocaine hyped bunny hopping that happens in wars.

I even turned off firefox which I usually have running (except for Teamspeak 3 which I left on). I gave more CPU priority to Garry's Mod and has no effect. I updated my drivers yesterday too.

One thing you should note is that on other more graphic/CPU intensive games, I actually have better FPS, even with higher settings. Planet Side 2 is pretty smooth, except for massive wars with everyone lobbing bullets and explosives at each other, but even at times like that it's bearable. L4D2 is good, and has it's settings higher. CS:S and CS:GO are EVEN better, and have pretty high settings.

Natural Selection 2 always stays around 40 FPS and never drops or goes up.

It's been doing this lately... When I was doing training sessions with the Legion I would continuously get smacked with incendiary and armor piercing rounds and still was able to kill two people easily.

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaska XCIII
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:36 am

1. Buy a can of compressed air.
2. Spray generously into air vents/fan/etc.
3. ??????????
4. Profit.

Ban

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:16 am

Stop making excuses for why you died >.< xD

When I see this if I try to join the server, it comes as a relief to me. Relief of not being afraid of being framed for tons of shit I didn't do. Relief for not being afraid of messing up a rule. Relief for not having to deal with the admins of Frostburnt. And relief to go to a server where my shots kill stuff, people don't hate me for no reason, and where I can do whatever I want and be treated like a normal person, not a rat held under a microscope under so much pressure to not mess up.

User has been permanatly banned from these forums for the reason "Doesn't want to be here" by Bizzclaw - Honestly I should of banned you a long time ago. And you say you're tired of being treated like "A rat under a microscope"? Sorry, but you've duped, exploited and RDM'd. What did you expect?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rittz

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 am

I play postnuke with a max of 15 fps everyday c: Wienie

Patrick McPatterson

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Alaska XCIII wrote:
1. Buy a can of compressed air.
2. Spray generously into air vents/fan/etc.
3. ??????????
4. Profit.

Ur welcome for dis :3

but yes do that if you have a laptop.

Tactical Bacon

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 pm

will do

I can't land effective hits if my FPS doesn't stay constant, if it stays at 12 FPS all day that's fine and dandy, but having 40 FPS suddenly turn into 7 FPS is like trying to shoot while drunk.

I'll be phasing out the AK47 from my list of combat rifles, it clearly lacks the balance between fire rate and damage enough for me to be aggressive enough in action. (And you haven't seen me with a G36A1/XM8 or a M249 SAW, I served the Legion greatly with these rifles, I'm just trying to find effective, yet cheap alternatives to the SAW and G36A1 for the reset)

Never pet a burning dog.

Feels fuckin' good to kill I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jeff Belinger

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Tactical Bacon wrote:
will do

I can't land effective hits if my FPS doesn't stay constant, if it stays at 12 FPS all day that's fine and dandy, but having 40 FPS suddenly turn into 7 FPS is like trying to shoot while drunk.

I'll be phasing out the AK47 from my list of combat rifles, it clearly lacks the balance between fire rate and damage enough for me to be aggressive enough in action. (And you haven't seen me with a G36A1/XM8 or a M249 SAW, I served the Legion greatly with these rifles, I'm just trying to find effective, yet cheap alternatives to the SAW and G36A1 for the reset)

I can vouch for the use of the MP5. its damage is nothing short of weaksauce, but the high RPM, reload speed, versatility of attachments and combined with magnum rounds makes for an incredibly good starting weapon.

HUEG BLAK DOODS
having good rp doesnt make one fit for staff duties, especially if said people are always playing with the same small group of people and no one else. staying in an echo chamber only makes your own words reflected back to you and whoever else is in the chamber. people applying for staff need to not only know the staff, but also how the playerbase can react to interactions between itself, the general staff base and the applicant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ameno-Sagiri
Ban

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:30 am

Tactical Bacon wrote:
So, I just realized that this computer is like the worst toaster there is. (at least for Gmod)

Stats
GeForce GTX 560M
Intel Core i7
3 GBs of GDDR5 VRAM or whatever this shit is
Also a giant heat vent

Buy page:

I propped my computer up so it could vent heat even more effectively too.

So basically, I made the 'l33t' war with Chess, Valid, and Canadian Turtles, I shot at like everyone with my AK, Valid hit me a couple of times with his incendiary SAW and my FPS was like 30 then ded, turned into 7. So basically I sprayed like crazy in a frantic attempt to hit him once then I ded. And EVEN when I'm not on fire, my FPS will be like 40 then everyone five seconds it turns to 6-7 and stays there for like three seconds, then goes up to 40 FPS. This makes attempting to land accurate shots harder than 360ing a AWP in CS: GO at someone a mile away.

I replicated the same thing with Canadian Turtles, so I promptly turned all my settings down to the very lowest. So I restarted Garry's Mod and went on singleplayer I got a noticeable FPS increase (turned from 60 to 120). When I got into multiplayer... It didn't go up at all, it went down to 30. Do note that I even decreased my resolution, but it had no noticeable effect on FPS. And the 'period' (as I'm going to call my random FPS decrease) went from 7 to 10 FPS, but that still sucks and doesn't help me what so ever with the cocaine hyped bunny hopping that happens in wars.

I even turned off firefox which I usually have running (except for Teamspeak 3 which I left on). I gave more CPU priority to Garry's Mod and has no effect. I updated my drivers yesterday too.

One thing you should note is that on other more graphic/CPU intensive games, I actually have better FPS, even with higher settings. Planet Side 2 is pretty smooth, except for massive wars with everyone lobbing bullets and explosives at each other, but even at times like that it's bearable. L4D2 is good, and has it's settings higher. CS:S and CS:GO are EVEN better, and have pretty high settings.

Natural Selection 2 always stays around 40 FPS and never drops or goes up.

It's been doing this lately... When I was doing training sessions with the Legion I would continuously get smacked with incendiary and armor piercing rounds and still was able to kill two people easily.

Garry's Mod is beyond requiring a good GPU at this point. It's all reliant on your CPU, and none of the CPU's that exist today are good enough for what we want.
When I upgraded from my (Keep in mind that clock speeds do not translate across different CPU architectures in the same way) 3.8 GHz "8 core(lie)" AMD FX-6200 to my current 3.4 GHz (4-core) i7-4770, I got a significant Frame rate increase on the server in general. The thing is, it's still not always playable above 30-50 frames after you throw in everything servers and gamemodes have to offer.

Since Garry's Mod is single core, and your GPU runs circles around what Garry's Mod is demanding, the CPU is dying trying to keep up and/or Garry's Mod can't really utilize it to its full potential given everything that's going on. The CPU is the only thing restricting Garry's Mod at this point.

On top of that, the problem is maps, PAC's, and all the entities in one specific area. Depending on how well the map was optimized, you can get 10 fps, or 150 fps in single player when you look in one direction. Even the good maps get bogged down over time from all the stuff PostNuke is demanding.

Garry's Mod is stressing the boundaries of Source enough as it is, and it's amazing how stable it actually runs (Although sometimes unstable) for what we're making it do.

There's not much anyone can do about it, guess we'll just have to wait for future processors that run circles around our modern day ones, and who's to say Garry's Mod will still be alive by that time (It probably will, unless it has a successor after Source 2).

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Jamz' Mod.
Back to top Go down
Bizz
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: How does one make their FPS not stupid   Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 pm

It used to run a lot better in Gmod12 before Gmod13. The problem is that Gmod13 as opposed to previous versions is running on a single CPU thread as opposed to multiple. This is why Planetside 2 and all other games run better than Gmod13. There's nothing I can do about that other than try and make sure we use maps that are well optimized. You may have noticed that we have started using some maps that previously killed everyone's framerate (Stalker Winter and Ineu Pass) and they ran a lot better than they used too becuase I lowered the FarZ (Draw distance) but it still doesn't help. The thing is the Source engine was made in a time where everything was done by the CPU instead of the GPU, thus more things are doing with your CPU than they need to be. This is an engine limitation and there's nothing I can do about it, I can assure you that most other server's running on large maps with PAC are just as if not more laggy... Try playing on the metastruct or StalkerRP server.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.frostburnt.com/

How does one make their FPS not stupid
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: